• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day, March 29th

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
National Vietnam War Veterans Day is observed every year on March 29th and is our nation's way of thanking and honoring Vietnam veterans and their families for their service and sacrifice.

Vietnam era U.S. Armed Forces personnel served on active duty service between November 1, 1955 to May 15, 1975. This included Nine million Americans of which 6.4 million are living today. Of the 2.7 million U.S. service members that served in Vietnam, 58,000 names of those killed are memorialized on a black granite wall in our Nation’s capital.

Additionally, 304,000 personnel were wounded, 1,253 are still Missing in Action (MIA) and have not yet returned to American soil plus 2,500 were Prisoners of War (POWs).

While these are traumatic times and many are suffering from choronavirus please take the time to remember our Vietnam vets. Call one up, check on him or her and thank them for their service.

They paid the price of freedom we now enjoy!

To all my fellow Vietnam brothers and sisters, take care.

Many of you are much younger than I and likely don't remember or even know anything about the Vietnam War. Years ago Arlo Guthrie wrote a folk song about the war. His words describe the mood of the times and what military folks faced upon their return. As March 29th approaches and given all the chaos and panic across the nation it might be good to read these words.

And also remember the old saying, "Tough Times Never Last, Tough People Do".

Bless all our veterans, but especially our Vietnam ones on this day!

When A Soilder Makes It Home

Halfway around the world tonight
In a strange and foreign land
A soldier packs his memories
As he leaves Vietnam
And back home, they don't know too much
There's just no way to tell
I guess you had to be there
For to know that war was hell
And there won't be any victory parades
For those that's coming back
They'll fly them in at midnight
And unload the body sacks
And the living will be walking down
A long and lonely road
Because nobody seems to care these days
When a soldier makes it home
They'll say it wasn't easy
Just another job, well done
As the government in Saigon falls
To the sounds of rebel guns
And the faces of the comrades
Being blown out of the sky
Leaves you bitter with the feeling
That they didn't have to die
And there won't be any victory parades
For those that's coming back
They'll fly them in at midnight
And unload the body sacks
And the living will be walking down
A long and lonely road
Because nobody seems to care these days
Halfway around the world tonight
In a strange and foreign land
A soldier unpacks memories
That he saved from Vietnam
Back home they didn't know too much
There was just no way to tell
I guess you had to be there
For to know that war was hell
And there wasn't any big parades
For those that made it back
They flew them in at midnight
And unloaded all the sacks
And the living were left walking down
A long and lonely road
Because nobody seemed to care back then
When a soldier made it home
The night is coming quickly
And the stars are on their way
As I stare into the evening
Looking for the words to say
That I saw the lonely soldier
Just a boy that's far from home
And I saw that I was just like him
While upon this earth I roam
And there may not be any big parades
If I ever make it back
As I come home under cover
Through a world that can't keep track
Of the heroes who have fallen
Let alone the ones who won't
Which is why nobody seems to care

Those were certainly uncertain times for sure if you were a young man just getting out of high school and registered with the selective service. Being turned down for jobs because you were "draft age".

In a couple of years I did end up getting a draft notice, but joined the air force instead. I was fortunate as I did not have to go to Vietnam.

To the ones here that did go you have my utmost respect.

From one vet to the another, I salute each and every one of you.

Meanstreak, thanks for your service brother!

Arlo, slightly updated a couple of words in the video to reflect the time of the concert in the early 90s but It was, as the words say, a fairly accurate depiction of how many of our returning soldiers were treated and how a large segment of the civilian population despised both the war and those who served in the military whether in Vietnam or stateside.

Forutantly, veterans from recent conflicts have been treated as returning hero's and to a large extent received the attention the deserved. Many of our Vietnam era brothers and sisters at still today "walking down a long and lonely road", especially those suffering the effects of Agent Orange and our large percentage of homeless vets.

2017 Presidential Proclamation

"To ensure the sacrifices of the 9 million heroes who served during this difficult chapter of our country’s history are remembered for generations to come, I signed into law the Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act of 2017, designating March 29 of each year as National Vietnam War Veterans Day. Throughout this Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War, and every March 29 thereafter, we will honor all those who answered our Nation’s call to duty."

President Trump

Last edited:
Just a follow up on this special day for those Vietnam era vets.

The Vietnam War Commemoration group is providing Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pins to eligible vets.

If eligible, check www.vietnamwar50th.com and make application via email.

I received mine yesterday after about a five week wait but while they are still taking requests, the operation has been paused due to the virus.

Thanks again to my brothers and sisters who served!

Regards

Just a follow up on this special day for those Vietnam era vets.

The Vietnam War Commemoration group is providing Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pins to eligible vets.

If eligible, check www.vietnamwar50th.com and make application via email.

I received mine yesterday after about a five week wait but while they are still taking requests, the operation has been paused due to the virus.

Thanks again to my brothers and sisters who served!

Regards

Thanks. Did you send them a scan of your DD214? Hopefully, they use some mechanism to verify eligibility.

Several Swedes fought in Vietnam. These two served in USMC and participated in the Battle of Khe Sanh

Sgt. Björn "Swede" Dahlin ( Also called "Sergeant Swede" ) and pvt. Per-Olof Ödman ( Per was seriously wounded )

Per to the right ( Delta Company / second platoon / 26th Regiment )

vietnam-3-svenskarna-som-stred-for-usa.jpg

Bjorn ( Sniper group )

bjorn.jpg

" ..the first bullet penetrates his chest and punctures his lung. The other is tearing off his carotid artery. The third ricochets against something and splits. The bullet fragments penetrate the skull and deep into the brain.

- I felt my life slipping away, says Per-Olof Ödman. The carotid artery pumped out blood. Everything went so fast but I remember trying to scream that I was dying, I was dying. And I was right about that. "
Per now lives in New York and Björn in Bremerton, USA

Thanks. Did you send them a scan of your DD214? Hopefully, they use some mechanism to verify eligibility.

Pawpaw, the web site shows current procedures. Due to the virus travel restrictions I was not able to attend the memorial celebration. At that time, I was given an email address to request a pin. That was early on, before they established procedures. They had originally planned to hand out pins to actual attendees.

Since I only had an email address and no instructions, the only info I provided was the fact that I was a military retiree, provided my rank and inclusive dates of service. They sent me a return email confirmation saying it would be 5 to 6 weeks for delivery. Like I said above I got my pin yesterday and the accompanying card denoting the symbolism of the inscriptions on the pin had this new web site.

Thanks for your service brother. Good luck.

Regards

Back