• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day, March 29th

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
The Vietnam War has a very long history. Starting in 1955, the war went on until 1975, making it the second longest war, aside from the ongoing Afghanistan conflict. Over 2.7 million Americans served in Vietnam and it's surrounding waters during this 20 year period.

By the mid 70s, combat and support units withdrew from Vietnam, but the war continues today to have a direct impact on many of our aging veterans, their families and families of those killed or missing in action.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day is acknowledged on March 29 every year, honoring anyone who served in the military during the 1955 to 1975 time period. Given that respect and post combat support wasn’t immediately provided to those returning veterans, on this day our Nation offers that respect to everyone involved.

If you know a Vietnam veteran please take a moment on this or any other day to say thanks and inquire how their doing!

A few facts

Just over 9 million personnel served in the military from 1955 through 1975.

2.7 million served in Vietnam (9.7% of their generation) including 1.6 million who fought in combat.

The average age of American soilders in Vietnam was 19. And, 61% of all personnel were younger than 21.

Today, the average age of Vietnam veterans is around 70 with the oldest living being 97.

258 Vietnam veterans were awarded the Metal of Honor.

Over 58,000 died in combat plus over 303,000 were wounded.

The youngest killed in Vietnam was only 16 (5 personnel), the oldest killed was 62.

An untold number still suffer today from the after effects of Agent Orange.

Of the 766 POWs, 144 died in captivity.

7,484 women served in Vietnam. Of those, 84% were nurses, 8 nurses died during the conflict, one was killed in action.

Over 1,500 Vietnam veterans are still unaccounted for today and remain MIA.

Less than 600,000 veterans who actually served in Vietnam and it's surrounding waters are still alive today.

Thought for the Day - Our Freedom, is the most wonderful, precious, most irreplaceable and expensive thing you have. It's God given, but someone else paid dearly for you to have it.

God Bless our fellow Vietnam Era Brothers and Sisters!

Ernst, thank you for sharing. I remember seeing war videos on the evening news every evening all through the high school. Everything we would see happened at least the day before, maybe longer. There were no live satellite shots back then.

Anyways, after being out of high school for four years and a medical deferment due to high blood pressure, I passed my yearly physical in early 1969 and received a welcome letter from my local draft board. Instead of being drafted I joined the Air Force in 1969 and served till mid 1973.

That war was on my mind every day for 12 years, as it was for so many back then. Often times you would be turned down for a job for being " draft age", or your draft status. I ran into that twice myself.

I was fortunate. I did not see combat, I didn't even leave the USA. I did not die or get wounded.I was fortunate.

To those that did, I salute you and stand in awe.

I was 10 when my dad went to serve in a hut on the DMZ as a forward combat air controller.

When he came back from Vietnam he retrained as a computer programmer, and he got high marks and a commendation for programming.

But While we were bombing Hanoi, He basically earned a ticket home and a promotion, and the IBM school In Biloxi.

We were at a B-52 bomber base when he retired and we got there about the same time the B-52s and their ordinance also arrived.

I don’t think I’ll mention where those items of ordinance were deposited. I have been there but it doesn’t really show up on Google earth or any such thing.

A lot of the places my father worked are still there, but they do not show up on Google earth even though they’re in some cases now owned by private or non-military organizations.

One place that does show is a frozen-arse little radar station which became the winter testing track for a well-known Japanese car maker.

Anyhow that’s the base where we were stationed the year that I became eligible to go to Vietnam. Fortunately I was not asked to go.

Back