• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need a Mossberg expert

I got a 500 several months ago and was going to convert it to a bullpup but it won't fit into the lower section of the kit. I have just found out that it's actually a 500A. Here's where I need an expert. Is there ANY difference between to 500 and 500A. I'm thinking maybe there's some difference in the receivers. Another question. Are the barrels interchangeable between the 500 and 500A?

That I know. I'm needing to know if there's any difference between the two. Like maybe the receiver being wider, longer etc.

To my knowledge, the 12 gauge Mossberg 500 and the 500A is the same gun.

500B=16 gauge.
500C=20 gauge
500E=410

There was a time way back when the 500A only had one action arm. But I don't think that would be enough to interfere with anything if you did by chance happen to have one of the older ones. There would just be a void inside where the action arm isn't.

500 and 500 A barrels are the same. Though some have a vent rib, others don't. Some have rifle sights, some don't.

500 and 590 barrels are not the same either.

I'm far from a Mossberg expert.

Last edited:
Well there's something that's different between the 500 and 500A. As I said I was going to convert it using the Bullpup conversion kit BUT it won't seat all the way into the lower portion of the kit. It rocks up and down like it's riding on something. Thought it might have been the trigger guard so I removed it but the issue is still there. Plus when I did try to put the upper portion of the kit on there's about a 1/8-1/4" gap at the rear again not allowing it to fit properly.

Do you know the year of the 500? Like John said it might be pre 1969 one arm model.

I searched for "mossberg 500 vs 500a difference" and learned that even the "experts" online don't know the answer.

Here is what I would suggest you do in your situation. Go to a friend who has a 500 and see how the BP conversion fits it differently. Then you will be the expert!

I have a 500. If you are near E TN I'd be happy to lend you mine for that test.

Thanks for the offer Scoop but I was able to figure out the problem. I had changed out the original safety switch and it sat too high so it was hitting inside the upper portion of the kit. I turned it around and everything went together.

Will do. Plus need to camouflage it first. Here's 3 camo designs I'm looking at. I actually like the first 2 better. They look cleaner plus really only need 1 color, flat sand and a clear coat. Going to use Krylon Fusion spray paint.

Attachments

• 870-bullpup-wos.jpg
    870-bullpup-wos.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 34
  • 3125688_01_remington_870_bullpup_tactical_640.jpg
    3125688_01_remington_870_bullpup_tactical_640.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 4568462_01_sks_bullpup_kit_in_digital_des_640.jpg
    4568462_01_sks_bullpup_kit_in_digital_des_640.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
If you use a clearcoat spray, make sure whatever base color brand you use, use the same brand clearcoat.

Mixing rustoleum basecoat and krylon matte clear for example, will react differently to each other and stay tacky.

index.php

Pic of 1winnen's Bullpup

That is a beaut! Give us a description of the mod.

Well first of all that pix was someone else. I was just looking at others to get an idea of how I wanted to camo mine. If you were asking about mods to my bullpup I haven't even put it together yet. First need to cut some off of the slide tube that they provide for the forearm so that the action I have will work. Other then the camo job I'm going to add a holographic sight, angled forearm grip and a 4-6 side saddle carrier.

Oh do you happen to know anyone with a stock Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 who would like to make it more tactical. I have several items that I took off my 500 and I'd like to sell them. Need some money to help cover what I paid for the bullpup kit.

Well first of all that pix was someone else. ... If you were asking about mods to my bullpup I haven't even put it together yet.
OK. Gotchya. I'll be looking forward to progress reports.

Back