• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need Help: HD Shells for Mossberg 505 Youth in .410

MikeCamden

Copper BB
Hi,
I've been looking around this forum for the past couple of days; it seems like a great community with tons of good info.

I don't have much shotgun experience (although I've spent a lot of time with rifles and handguns growing up and in 8 years of military active duty service). I own multiple firearms but didn't own a shotgun (well, we do have a single shot 12 gauge that was my father in law's). When my wife and I decided to buy a shotgun for home defense last year, we bought a 12 gauge pump without trying to shoot any, which proved to be a mistake. Buckshot in it was was a bit much for me to shoot more than a couple of times and even birdshot was too much for my wife. If it came to an actual HD situation, I would probably grab my normal concealed carry weapon since I'm most comfortable with that and shoot it quite a bit (9mm with a Crimson Trace laser), but I wanted something else for my wife. I just bought a Mossberg 505 Youth in .410 for her for Home Defense (she's small in stature and 12 and 20 gauge were too much kick for her to feel comfortable enough that she'd actually use it if needed).

My question deals with ammo - I'm getting mixed info on what kind of shells I should use in it. The salesman at Cabela's said that Winchester 3" PDX-1 were perfect for it. After reading online, I found that some people are saying they're great and some are saying that they could damage the gun because of pressure build-up because the Mossberg 505 comes with a fixed-modified choke. So I called Mossberg. The guy I spoke with there wasn't too much help. He didn't seem to be at all familiar with the PDX-1 ammo for the .410. He kept saying that I shouldn't shoot slugs from the 505 Youth because it has a fixed-modified choke. The PDX 1 for a 12 Gauge is a slug, but Winchester lists the .410 PDX1 as being Defense Disks and BBs.

While researching this online, I've come across folks saying that buckshot also shouldn't be used in a .410 with a fixed choke. Now I'm really confused because most .410s seem to have fixed or modified chokes. I need some home defense ammo that will go bang not boom (as in breaking the shotgun).
Can anyone experienced with this help me out? Can the PDX1 be used safely in the Mossberg 505 Youth .410 (20" vented barrel with what Mossberg lists as a fixed-modified choke)? What else is a good Home Defense round for this shotgun?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Mike, I shoot OOO buckshot in mine and so far I have run an entire box of slugs through it with no issues. My gunsmith says he has never had a problem with either load in his. The triple aught has a nice small pattern and will take care of most home defense situations you will run across.

Did the Mossberg tech say why the slugs should not be fired [i.e. damage to the choke?].

Howdy and welcome to the club!

I have a 510 mini in 410g and use 000 buck with it. Haven't had any issues with that round. I have yet to use the pdx though. Might have to look into getting some just so I cqn try it out...

Back