• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Needing advice on a micro dot

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm interested in purchasing one of the small illuminated dot optics.

I don't want anything with automatic brightness. I don't mind an auto shutoff, but I don't want the intensity changing unless I tell it to.

NV compatible a plus, but not required.

Size is a concern and it has to be short. (front to back).

I would like to stay under $200, so while an aimpoint would be nice, I'm not going to spend more on the optic than I did the gun.

An Aimpoint clone would not be out of line, but I don't want any airsoft stuff.

I would like something with at least a 3-5 moa dot or even an Eotech style circle dot would be fine. Even though the Sparc2 has a 2 MOA dot, it is currently in the lead for the optic choice because the Bushnell First Strike has auto brightness, but I have never had a need for a micro dot, so I'm not sure what all is out there to choose from, so I'm asking for suggestions.

The vortex SPARC & PA are the bang-for-the-buck twins in my book.

The Vortex comes with 4 mounting options in the box.

The Primary Arms is a 2.2 Moa dot so the company calls it a 3.

Both are tight and right with lots of adjustment and quick target acquisition and shoot head shots at 100 yds!

I have one of each.

+1 on the Primary Arms Micro Dots

I've had a total of 3 over the past few years and ran one of them really hard during a 2 day carbine class. It didn't lose zero and had no issues with it what so ever. I also had a Vortex Sparc which I ended up selling. I didn't like the on/off switch on the sparc and it just seemed a little more bulky then the PA sights. If I get a red dot for my Saiga AK, it will be a Primary Arms micro dot.

After taking a few minutes this evening and doing some adjusting on the front sight, I believe that I will just continue using the irons on that gun for now. While it would be nice to have a red dot, keeping things simple (and minus batteries), would be more along the lines of what I want for that gun.

I was able to walk the rounds in from the 2 o' clock position to the bullseye while resting my arm on the bed of the truck to help keep the gun still, and once I was satisfied with the zero, I finished the remaining bullets standing unsupported shooting from the shoulder. I wasn't really concerned about groups at that point and was just wanting to make sure I could keep them all in the black.

I was also able to knock over some water bottles I found laying up there in the ditch, so for the distance I plan to use it for (25 to 100 yards) it'll do.

Anthony15thBday011_zps9642daf5.jpg

@John A. , you know I love my SightMark Mini Shot.

I will have had it three years in November. Had it out at the range this morning mounted up on the 930 and the original battery finally pooped out. Not too bad for an $80 red dot...

I had a sightmark several years ago. I think I picked it up from Natchez for about what you paid for yours and it was a decent optic too now that you reminded me about them.

The reason I was thinking about an optic was because I was worried that grinding so much of the material from the front post of the uzi would make it hard to use (being so fat, due to the triangle shape), but it seems to be OK now that I've got to spend some more time behind the trigger.

Don't get me wrong, it's still fat and covers up more of the target than I am used to, but at a fast pace and with maybe multiple targets, that may not be a bad thing either since I wouldn't be picking which button to use for a point of aiming reference under stress.

At 25 yards, I was hitting water bottles and the little dirty bird targets, and I could still hit the torso gong at 75 yards, so it'll serve its' purpose of minute of man. If I want something to plink around with that has more pinpoint accuracy, I'll grab something else. That's not what that gun is for.

How about a tritium front sight. Dunno if the front posts are replaceable on that firearm or not. But I think thats the route I'm going to go with my AK

Yes, the front posts are replaceable.

Trijicon did make a sight set for the uzi back in the 90's, but they've not been available for about as long, so even if I did find one, would probably be dim at best.

I'm also not sure if the ones they offered were for the model A or B sights, but I do remember reading about them.

My only issue with the sight now is where I had to remove some of the material from the post to get it adjusted. In doing so, made the top of the post pretty fat and wide, which obscures more of the sight picture than I would prefer.

In hindsight, instead of removing material from the top of the post, I perhaps should've removed material from the bottom so it would screw in as far as necessary, although that would've been a lot more tedious and time consuming shooting for group, removing, grinding, reinstalling and start the process all over again.

But now that I know where the heigth of where the top of the post needs to be over the receiver for correct zero, I can get a replacement front sight post for about $10 and measure from the top post to the top of the receiver (now) and then measure from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the channel the front sight screws into and subtract the total height of the new front post so I know exactly how much of the bottom of the new sight I need to remove. Kind of reverse engineering, but would be a lot neater and professional job in the end.

What would really be nice is if someone made a precision front sight for it, like some of the KNS front posts for AR's.

But they don't.

If you want the info on the gitd paint I can look for where I got it from. It's the brightest stuff out there besides the tritium stuff...

Sure, I'd be interested in hearing more about it when you get time. There's no rush.

My only issue with the sight now is where I had to remove some of the material from the post to get it adjusted. In doing so, made the top of the post pretty fat and wide, which obscures more of the sight picture than I would prefer.

In hindsight, instead of removing material from the top of the post, I perhaps should've removed material from the bottom so it would screw in as far as necessary, although that would've been a lot more tedious and time consuming shooting for group, removing, grinding, reinstalling and start the process all over again.

But now that I know where the heigth of where the top of the post needs to be over the receiver for correct zero, I can get a replacement front sight post for about $10 and measure from the top post to the top of the receiver (now) and then measure from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the channel the front sight screws into and subtract the total height of the new front post so I know exactly how much of the bottom of the new sight I need to remove. Kind of reverse engineering, but would be a lot neater and professional job in the end.

What would really be nice is if someone made a precision front sight for it, like some of the KNS front posts for AR's.

But they don't.

if it were mine, Id keep filing. I'd take a dremel cut off wheel in from the base and establish the width I would want the blade and just file to the depth of the cuts

Sure, I'd be interested in hearing more about it when you get time. There's no rush.

Here's the place I got it from. I got a few different colors in the smallest bottles they had...."original" is the brightest color they have.
http://www.amazon.com/GLOW-ON-ORIGINAL-Super-Phosphorescent-Sights/dp/B004K56TS8

Then a lil while later this stuff came out and it's even brighter....but not by much...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YYYM9TX6ZFK06Y140ZE

Back