• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 cleaning details

Proud owner of my second 500. The internals are all full of gunk brand new. Wondering what every one does to clean their new 500? I decided to disassemble and clean every thing but the safety, bolt, and syn stock. My first time taking apart the trigger assemble. Scared to do the bolt. I have never taken apart the bolt on any of my guns.

Unless you are having problems I would not take the trigger assembly apart to clean it. Maybe just give it a light oiling. Same with the bolt.

If they are really gunked up I would spray some cleaning solvent on them and then lightly oil.

As OM said, just degrease it and then oil it up again, no need to tear it apart.

Acetone is a powerful degreaser. Just don't get it on plastic :eek:

If you take the trigger apart you'll wish you hadn't. Do not take the bolt apart as the pins are staked in place.

Acetone is a powerful degreaser. Just don't get it on plastic :eek:

If you take the trigger apart you'll wish you hadn't. Do not take the bolt apart as the pins are staked in place.

1) scrub and degrease
2)literally pour oil over your stripped receiver, barrel, magazine, and removed internals (minus the trigger group)
3)hand rub it all.
4) wipe down and remove excess.
5) bask in the warm glow of newly oiled steel.

also - polish things up while its apart. the bolt is fun to do.

Thank you everyone for the great advises! Too bad I am impatient and already disassembled the trigger assembly before waiting for replies. Up late last night recovering it and putting it all back together. Thankful for the youtube video on it. It was not not that bad. I was able to clean and oil all the small parts individually rather than as an assembly. Also gained the confidence and knowledge that I can do it again if needed to allow me to fully clean this part after hunting in a salt marsh or accidentally submerging the shotgun in ocean water. Glad I did not attempt the bolt. So if I drop the shot gun in ocean water and submerge completely the overall advise here is to not attempt to take the bolt apart but just rinse with fresh water, then soak in hot soapy water, then solvent clean to decrease, and oil? Is there any case where the bolt should be disassembled?

So I guess it is normal that I have never disassembled the bolt on my 5 different type of firearms? And I should not plan on it?

What I ended up doing last night
1)Acetone then isopropanol in ultrasound to degrease all small parts then coat in oil and remove excess with cloth
2)Break free CLP gun scrubber spray of some kind for inside of barrel and receiver with rag and copper brush for barrel, then oil
3)No polishing internals yet as I am afraid to remove the park for corrosion protection while out in the field (open to suggestions on this one as I did do this for my HD 500 18" and love the smoother action)

Back