• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 owner questions

New 500a owner here. Bought it used and the first thing I did was break it down and clean/lube the gun. I have a couple of questions regard this process.

The mag tube is on there entirely too tight. I am assuming the previous owner was either the Hulk, or they never removed it from the factory. I tried take a rubber dish glove, and a channel lock to the end of the tube (so I didn't crush the tube) with no success. Any tips/tricks for me on this one/

Also, when I was reassembling the stock, specifically putting the cheek comb back on, I ran into a little issue. The cheek comb bolts into a (what I will call) receiver block in the stock, and then the receiver block screws into the stock. In the receiver block, there is a pressed in nut that that allen bolt (which holds on the cheek comb) screws into. Well, it seems that when I was reassembling the the stock, that pressed in nut started to spin. The cheek comb is tight, and it is the comb that I like, so it isn't a HUGE deal. But, I would like to be able to remove it if necessary. Any tips on how to get that out? The way it is setup, it seems that all the bolts/screws are hidden below the cheek comb. Right now my only thought is to cut the cheek comb, to get access to the receiver block and replace that block and comb. The stock itself is 100% fine.

I am not sure if any of that made sense, but I really appreciate your feedback.

MANY 500 mag tubes are put in with Lock-Tite.
Use a hairdryer and heat the joint on the receiver.
Dissect the gun first. This way nothing acts as a heat sink while doing this.
With enough heat it will come loose.

As for your other question, I have NO idea what you are talking about. Sorry!

LTB45 is on the money with getting the mag tube off.

can you post a pic of what you are describing about the "cheek comb" ?

Back