• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 Persuader 20" 12ga Break-in

I like the cheap bulk pack Federal shells at walmart. They come in 4 box packs (100 count) birdshot and dont' kick real bad. Don't bother with the Winchester bulk packs. They tend to swell and are problematic in anything but a single shot or double barrel. Of course, you can also get the Remington STS handicap for around $7 a box too. They are pretty soft shooting.

Lots of folks don't even worry about breaking one in. I just prefer to shoot the dickens out of it to familiarize myself with a new gun. Just takes some time learning it.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Mel. Enjoy that Persuader and the great forum ya just joined its a good one. As for break in Johns words pretty spot on and ya get some trigger time. The 500 pretty solud with or without id say. I also like to shoot em till they simply second nature and build confidence in function but again that 500 gonna just keep goin boom !!!
Ps lived in your neck of woods a few years out in Middleburg back when it was country. My oldest is down the road not to far in St Johns

Hi DJcala! Thanks for the insight... There's still a little country, you just have to drive a bit further :) I just wish I had a bit of open property to shoot at home... Mel

IF I were to buy a new 500 or 590 I would probably take it down and give it a good clean, grease and oil. But many do not and have never had a problem. The used guns I've bought have had very few rounds through them and were still tight. So they came apart to be cleaned/inspected/lubed and while apart I took the opportunity to clean the sharp edges from some of the internal stampings. Nothing serious, just a quick file or run along the deburr wheel. Some semi-autos benefit from a chamber and/or piston polish but I wouldn't do that unless I were having feed issues.

But as others have said, merely shooting the gun will not only "break" it in, it will also allow familiarization with the gun which is a good thing! :)

BTW, Welcome Aboard, Mel! :)

Back