• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 505 .410 ejects shells from magazine

Steve_In_29

Copper BB
My new 505 .410 will occasionally (every 2nd or 3rd magazine) eject shells from the magazine when I pull the trigger on a live one. The shells exit the magazine before I have even started to rack the slide after firing.

Any ideas?

Looks like your mag tube spring simply has too much tension. This is not all that uncommon for new shotguns. Storing the weapon fully loaded (if this can be done safely in your living situation) will help to compress the spring. The tension should wear down a bit over time with use. You could always cut a bit off the spring to release the tension, but I'd check with Mossberg first to see what their recommended length is first. You may have just got a spring that was too long in the first place...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Looks like your mag tube spring simply has too much tension. This is not all that uncommon for new shotguns. Storing the weapon fully loaded (if this can be done safely in your living situation) will help to compress the spring. The tension should wear down a bit over time with use. You could always cut a bit off the spring to release the tension, but I'd check with Mossberg first to see what their recommended length is first. You may have just got a spring that was too long in the first place...
So you are saying the spring has enough tension to force a shell past the retainer? The weapon goes bang and I hear shells hitting the deck before anything has moved in the action. Also I should have been more specific, it has not done it with the first round fired. It is the second, third or fourth round that activates the mag dump.

I've never dealt with this issue personally, but as I recall there are a few others here who have. It stands to reason that too much mag spring tension could be causing the top round to rattle past the retainer during recoil. Of course, this is assuming that your retainer is in working order. A faulty or weak retainer could also be a possibility.

Does it seem loose at all? Is there a decent amount of tension when you manually press it inward?

It seems a little loose to me. Sometimes when I am loading a shell it will stay pushed over and won't move back to hold the shell. To get it to go back into place I have to let that shell pop back out of the mag, at which point the retainer will move back into place (holding the previously loaded shells in the mag). I can then reload that shell into the mag and it will stay.

Is there an adjustment?

Have you stripped the gun down for a thorough cleaning yet? You may just have a bunch of crud in there that is keeping the retainer from doing what it's supposed to do. Even new shotguns out of the box will sometimes have so much shipping greasr on them that even the action is difficult to manipulate. That same grease may be causing the retainer to stick in place.

I'd start with a field strip. Clean her up, oil her down, and pay extra attention to cleaning the retainer and the groove it fits into. Let us know if that helps...

There was no crud. I think I got it fixed though.

The retainer was barely catching on the edge of the shells, so I pulled it out and gave it a slight tweak to let it protrude further. Went too far the first time but after a little work it seems to be functioning fine now.

Thanks for the help

Back