• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 510 Won't Accept Shells

For first time, attempted to insert a shell into magazine, but it goes in only 1/4" or so and hits a wall. I've moved all mechanisms, loaded a (dummy) shell in the side portal, "fired" and ejected it. So the basic operations work. The magazine is just locked or jammed. What am I missing? That non-existent 510-Mini manual?

EaglesFlyOver said:
For first time, attempted to insert a shell into magazine, but it goes in only 1/4" or so and hits a wall. I've moved all mechanisms, loaded a (dummy) shell in the side portal, "fired" and ejected it. So the basic operations work. The magazine is just locked or jammed. What am I missing? That non-existent 510-Mini manual?

have you disassembled and cleaned it? i would take it apart again and reassemble first.
here's a link to a very good video on the 500.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26
let us know how you make out.

No, haven't disassembled or cleaned it. Brand new. Just tried to load it for the first time. I'll check out the video, thank you.

I would look to see if the cartridge stop or interrupter were not bent and use something to make sure the follower travels like it should. Surely the bolt is in the forward position while trying to load it. Just wondering about the gauge. Haven't seen the 510 but saw where it comes in a 12, a 20 and .410.

Moderator -- Yes, thank you, old mossy -- my 510 is 20ga.

NASA -- I'm totally new at this and don't know the cartridge stop or the interrupter from its fan belt or timing chain. I.e., I have lots to learn. Plan to watch the video Old Mossy recommended after work, then see if the manual makes more sense of a disassembly. This is a brand new gun and I doubt it left the factory messed up. And all that I've done is test the forearm and slide mechanism (I haven't even removed the Mossberg decals from the stock).

this will help you ID parts for you.
watch that video a few times and you'll be fine.
,,,,,,and don't worry,if ya run into a problem,plenty of people here to help you. :)

Attachments

• InternalsDiagram.jpg
    InternalsDiagram.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 606
Thank you for the breakdown photo! Great help, O.M. I solved my problem: unscrewed the "slide tube nut" and removed the barrel. Then I looked down the magazine tube and saw a weird thing: a piece of wood. I turned the gun upsidedown and a dowel rod fell out. It has two rubber gaskets on it. This is what stopped my shells from going in the magazine. My next question is . . . Is this a safety feature of some kind? Should I save the dowel for a rainy day for some reason? Now I realize that this chat room has become my 510-Mini-20ga operator's manual. Who knew?

the dowel is to restrict the amount of shells for hunting. by rights it should have let you load some shells. well i'm glad you got it fixed,,,,,and now you know how to breakdown your 510. :D
and yes you can leave the dowel out.

Whoever cut the dowel to 9" apparently didn't want ANY shells loaded. An anti-gun-violence factory worker? :( What an interesting world. Thanks again, O.M., for staying up late to help. Of course, it's almost an hour later now with DST . . .

Attachments

• you-are-more-then-welcome.png
    you-are-more-then-welcome.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 584
Sorry, I started to mention the dowel but never thought about the wrong size dowel. That thing only chambers 2 or 3 in the magazine, right?

,,,surprised the chit out of all of us. never know what you'll see or find today. :D

1) NASA -- in my case, the 9" dowel wouldn't let ANY shells be chambered. Cynically, I pondered: is this a Feinstein Gun Control measure? Dowels are cheaper than, say, confiscation. (Can I say that in this venue?)

2) O.M. -- Everything has been a surprise/mystery to me so far. Who knows what will happen when I take the decals off the stock and shoot the thing. Thanks for your humor.

Hi,

I just had the exact same thing happen. We just brought this 510 home from Bass Pro, and I couldn't get a single shell to go more than half way into the magazine. I thought I was losing my mind. I disassembled and reassembled the gun and racked the action a few times. It still wouldn't accept a shell. I got on here and found this thread. I took the barrel off and shook the stock and magazine tube. I heard something rattling, and lo and behold, there was a wooden dowel with 2 o-rings stuck down in the magazine tube. It doesnt say anything about this anywhere in the manual. It came out after I shook it down. I have one question now though. We are only allowed to hunt with 3 shells. This now allows us to load 4 shells. How do I make the magazine only accept 2 shells so we will be legal?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark. Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.
Glad you found the dowel. :) As far as getting the dowel the proper length for hunting, I would measure the shells you'll be using and cut it a little at a time. But before you cut it make sure it is sitting ALL the way in the mag tube.
Sounds like somebody at the factory put the wrong length dowel in yours.
Keep us posted.

Back