• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590A1 Magazine Tube Length

pezboy

Copper BB
I just noticed that the newer 590A1s with 18.5" barrels are now 6+1 capacity instead of 5+1 like they used to be due to a longer magazine tube. This interested me since more rounds is better in my opinion. However, I was thinking about it and wondered what is keeping Mossberg from making the magazine tube flush with the barrel and bringing the capacity up to 7+1.

On the 20" barrel 590A1, the capacity is 8+1. Making that magazine tube 2" or less shorter should only decrease the rounds that the magazine tube holds by at most 1. The reason Mossberg didn't make it slightly longer isn't because of barrel compatability because the 14" barrel and older 18" barrels have different mounting locations.

What's really interesting about it is that the new 590M has the longer 6+1 magazine tube even though it isn't functional. It would seem to be a better idea to have the shortest magazine tube possible on that model to save weight and make the rifle as svelte as it can be.

Thoughts? Am I wrong that a longer magazine tube could hold 1 more round?

Does anyone own a 20" 590A1 and would be willing to do an experiment? Measure the barrel length from bolt face to muzzle to confirm if it is exactly 20" or not. Then insert a 2" plug into the end of the magazine tube and see what the capacity is with 2 3/4" shells. If you are able and willing to do this, let me know.

I really wish that Mossberg would just make their mag tubes open like Remington and Winchester, etc.

That way, folks could buy extensions to suit their needs if they wanted to.

But that's just me.

I see no legitimate purpose to have a sealed and fixed mag tube like Mossberg does.

While many didn't give it a second thought in 1962 (for example), times have changed. There is no real reason that Mossberg couldn't do that. Other than just not wanting to.

I agree with you there. It's a mystery.

I understand why they would use an extended magazine tube for more capacity instead of a standard magazine tube plus extension. It's more durable and should feed better.

I guess the reasons they still sell the 500 are for backwards compatability with barrels and it is slightly lighter.

Back