• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 835 Ulti Mag Owner

Jaeger

Copper BB
Hey, guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm the proud new owner of an 835 (traded an old remington 870 for it). I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet, just field stripped, cleaned, and lubed it. I was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions for making the action smoother, it seems a bit tighter than i'm used to. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Howdy Jaeger and welcome to the club.

Congrats on the 835, is it new or used? if it's new, it will surely be stiff and it should loosen up.

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/500_835 ... 5_en_o.pdf

if it's used, you might need to give it a real good cleaning.(take it apart again, i'm sorry) look at the bolt and see if there's any nicks or pitting, also where it seats, check to see if it's smooth. when you have it apart, slide the bolt with your finger back and forth the way it travels to see if it's sliding smoothly. if it is,.. good, if not, wherever the lag is when you slide it look closely to see what is making it lag in that area. use some wet/dry 600 sand paper and a drop or two of lube oil to smooth it out. you might be able to use a small wire brush instead in that area.
also check the action slide bar to see if the bars are straight, and the receiver cuts (with a flashlight) , to see if there's gunk or pitting/rust inside..use a small flat hobby file to get rid of the rust or sand paper folded up to fit and use it like you would shine a shoe...back n forth...
also check the elevator. make sure it's straight as well and slides smoothly with your finger up and down.

oh..and if you have any pics of it we'd love to see it. either here or in this area,
viewforum.php?f=33

let me know how it goes, and i look forward to seeing more of you here....

Welcome to MO. Clean, Oil and lots of use. I did open up some space between the fore-end and the barrel. My Knoxx stock made it a real pleasure to shoot. Again welcome to the site.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Jaeger !!

Congrats on the new Mossy...

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your new 835 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Hi, how ya doin! ^^^What they said! :D

Go shootin and have lotsa fun!!!

Hey, guys. First, thanks for all the comments and advice. I still haven't gotten out to shoot, it snowed here a couple inches today, so I'll have to wait till mother nature decides to cooperate. Having picked up my 835 used, I assumed that it had seen a respectable amount of use already... but you know what happens when you assume ;). Well, on closer inspection, it looks like it could benefit from some range time. Since I had it all apart anyway, I went ahead and used some super fine sand paper and four ot steel wool to polish the major friction points. That made a big difference. Then I gave it the sterile cleanup treatment and a lube. While I'm on the subject, I'd like to know what kind of lube ya'll have the best luck with. I used a silicone based lube for the waterproofing quality, but that's a first for me. Anyway, thanks again. I'll try to get some pics up when I figure out how.

Welcome from MI!!

I've got an 835 myself that is in the midst of a complete makeover.

I've had great success with Frog Lube.

Back