• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New ATI Stock - Sight Issues

I just got a new ATI TactLite stock for my 590A1 for my birthday. I got it installed, and it looks and feels awesome! The only down side is, now I cannot line up a proper sight picture with the halo sight without really hugging the stock. The stock kit included a drop spacer that would probably help, but I couldn't get it to fit. Everything fits so snugly, I couldn't get the mount back on the stock with the spacer installed.

I definitely want to keep this stock, but I also want to be able to aim properly. If I had optics that sat higher on the gun, I'm sure it would work great as is. I'm considering that, but I keep this gun by the bed for home defense. I hear mixed feedback on using optics (red dot or holo) for home defense. What do y'all think? If you think optics is the way to go, do you have any recommendations? Do you think I would be better off contacting ATI to see if they can fix my drop spacer issue?

Here are some pics of before and after I installed the stock:

Before:
DSC_0913 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg

After:
DSC_0897 (1024x683) (800x534).jpg

There are folks here with more experience than myself with the ATI stock.

Are you able to get pics and explain with more detail the issue you're having?

As far as I know, ATI has been very good to work with should you need to contact them.

If you look at the pics posted above, you can see that the stock I had before had a bit of a downward sweep. The ATI stock is more straight. This causes my head to be higher on the gun when shouldering it, so I don't get a good sight picture.

If I had an optic like a red dot or holographic sight, it would sit higher on the gun than the ghost ring sights do, so I would have a easier sight picture.

The drop spacer I mentioned would give the stock more of a downward sweep, sort of like my previous stock.

Basically, to fix my issue, I would either need to add optics or work out a fix for the drop spacer with ATI. I'm leaning toward optics, but I'm not sure if that's the smartest move for a home defense shotgun.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

You said the drop spacer isn't working properly. Can you describe that in more detail?

If an optic is what you want, some are better than others for your intended purposes. A holo sight may be the better way to go.

Before you do all that, be sure of how much height you need from a sight to work with the stock.

The stock has what ATI calls their Triton mounting system. It has two metal pieces. One piece mounts to the stock, the other piece mounts to the gun, and then they slide together and secure with a screw. The drop spacer installs behind the mount on the stock side. When I tried to install it, I couldn't reinstall the mount because there wasn't enough room. The bottom of the mount was hitting the top of the pistol grip part of the stock, and it would not sit flush against the stock. The only solution I could see would be to remove a little bit of material on the stock where it's hitting, but I definitely don't want to do that.

I've used this system on a Winchester 1300. It's strange that you're having fit issues.

I know it's sucks to break it all down, but if you can get pictures of the problem it may help.

Additionally, my first call moving forward would be to ATI. The product includes brand specific parts for the receiver mount and behind that, spacers should be universal without interfering with fit. If there's a problem, it's one of two things in my mind. It's either installation or manufacturer defect. If its not working, I wouldn't imagine it to be the product line across the board as its been successfully used by many folks to this point.

This is why I'd go to ATI and see what they recommend. I'm certain they'd do everything in their power to be helpful.

Thanks for your input. After some practice with the gun, I may be able to adapt and overcome the new feel. I haven't been able to take it out and shoot it, but once I do, this may become a non-issue. Either way, I went ahead and sent an email to ATI letting them know about my problem, so we'll see what they say.

I toyed with the idea of replacing my ghost ring sight with a rail and a reflex sight, but I think that might be a mistake since I use the gun for home defense. I'm thinking the ghost ring sight is reliable and accurate, and I just need to get things to work as is.

I'll update after I get to shoot and once I hear back from ATI. Thanks again!

Well, almost a year later, I finally return to give an update here. Sorry for the delay, but I haven't been on here in a long time. I haven't shot the gun much in these past months, but I have taken it out a few times since putting that new stock on, and I was able to get accurate with it by putting my cheek down lower on the stock. It isn't what I'm used to, but with some practice, it didn't feel abnormal. I have decided to keep the stock as-is and continue practicing with it to get used to shouldering it a little differently than I'm used to. It is an awesome stock! I think I can finally say I am finished upgrading this shotgun....except for maybe an over-sized safety...then I'm done! :cool:

Back