• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Family Member that Needs a Cleaning

catnphx

.270 WIN
My new baby has joined our household ... finally picked my 590A1 (51520) up at Cabella's (via Bud's Gun Shop) yesterday and it's an absolute thing of beauty. I held a family meeting to introduce them to the new family member and my wife and girls eventually had to tell me to stop talking about it and foundling it. :lol:

Anyway, it's new out-of-the-box and filled with lots of grime so it needs to thorough cleaning. Problem is that there isn't much Youtube video on the subject like there was for my S&W M&P's showing how to field strip and clean the gun.

My question is ... exactly what should be stripped and cleaned? Do I have to take the ENTIRE gun apart or only certain pieces for a clean and lube job? What is just too complicated for this novice shotgun owner to disassemble? I've read where others could easily take it apart but had trouble putting it back together and I don't want that to be me.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=619

The link above will help describe how to fully stripe down a Mossberg 500 which is virtually the same process for a Mossberg 590A1. I would highly suggest the AGI video for the Mossberg 500. The video looks a bit dated but does a great job explaining everything about a Mossberg 500.

Cant wait to see it and hear how it shoots for you!

That link is pretty detailed, follow the steps to remove everything. I found with my 590A1, not pulling the trigger group and everything resulted in leaving a decent bit of cosmoline behind on the bolt slide, bolt, and cartridge stop and interupter. It left the action feeling slugish and sticky. After firing lots of rounds and fully breaking it down and removing all that grease, got it lubed with a light coat of oil and it feels really good now, I'd say its still slicking up yet.

Almost any new gun sold in the US now comes with an owners`manual. I field stripped a 500 just with the directions in the OM. They more or less work. I had to back up, think, and play with things a couple times, but it all went back together fine. Just be patient and don`t force things. By the time I did it the second time it ways all falling in place.

If you lose the OM, go online and the manufacture has a downloadable copy.

Field stripping a gun means to take it down to the point the manufacturer says is sufficient to clean it. Field stripping is for the actual user of the arm--anything else should be left to armorers or gunsmiths.

On a mossberg you may be looking at only 7 or so parts. The trigger assembly, for example, comes out as one piece and should be left that way. Further disassembly is not needed, not necessary, and in the Army doing so may result in punishment! They don`t want their guns left unservieable by wannabe gunsmiths.

This site and others have instructions for the 500. Look at them to get the general idea, then follow the directions in your gun`s OM. the 590 has a few differences from the 500.

pS: the pin you remove to take out the trigger housing should just pop out with pressure from a golf tee or a pencil. Field stripping on just about any arm usually takes few or no tools.

Thanks everyone. I'll give it the old college try tomorrow ... just a little nervous that I won't be able to put it back together again. I learned how to field strip and clean my M&P's by watching Youtube videos but none exist with detail for the 590A1. If I have problems tomorrow then I'll be asking for more questions. Wish me luck!!

Thanks

Well, with some struggles and patience, the 590A1 is clean; thanks for the help folks. I went to the video often to make sure I put it back together properly and it works. The only issue is I don't think I lubed it much ... in fact, hardly at all. With my S&W M&P 9mm, I know exactly where to give the gun oil and the manual is very clear on the issue but it's vague with the Mossberg. Any insight into what (and how much) should be oiled?

Thanks again.

Youre welcome and sure thing!

I dont use much oil at all, literally a drop at a time, and then smear it with my finger tip and really try to stretch it. Then another drop or two. I lightly oill everything you took out and make sure to get a drop down inside both sides of the bolt.

Back