• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New gun was damaged

FJT02

.22LR
Just picked up my NIB 500 field/security model at the dealer yesterday after waiting two weeks. I open up the box in the store and noticed a hairline crack on the wood stock running from the grip all the way back to the recoil pad. I was pissed! Dealer said that I could either leave the gun with him and he would take care of it, or take it home and shoot and call Mossberg to have them send me out a new stock. This is what I decided to do.

To my surprise, Mossberg said that I had to ship them back the damaged piece first (at my expense) and then they would send me a new piece within 10 business days. I am not too happy. I was under the impression they would send me out a new piece and I would then send them back the damaged piece, but apparently their warranty does not work that way.

Since I cannot even shoot the gun yet, I spent some time getting to know it. I took it all apart and cleaned everything real good and then used some grease and gun oil to lube the various parts. It was a little tricky getting it back together, but after watching the great videos on this forum, it was not too bad. I am assuming everything went back properly since I did a function test and all seems well. The true test will be when I finally shoot it.

I did call Mossberg back today and explained the situation to another rep who told me to call him back in a few days (allowing time for them to recieve the damaged part) and he will try to send me one out sooner, assuming they have them in stock. I will take some pics once the gun is all put back together.

By the way, I had a heck of a time getting the screw loose that holds the stock on. I did not think I was going to be able to get it. Finally, after much force it broke loose. I am hoping that I don't have to get the new stock on that tight because I won't have the strength. I am hoping that "pretty snug" will do the trick. Should I put locktite on the screw when I put the new one back on? It did not look like there was any on the screw when I removed it. I will keep you all updated.

That'd sure irritate a fella.

Might wanna take it back to your dealer. He was aware of an existing issue and if he wants your future business, he will deal with it. Id see about getting a replacement gun, in its entirety.

You shouldnt be out any monies other than what you spent retail, so paying to send a broken stock back, to me is not acceptable. Second, you just dont know why the stock was cracked in the first place, was it the wood, was it dropped at the factory or during shipment? So, Id want to walk away from that weapon entirely, let mossberg send the dealer a new one. In the least, let the dealer deal with making it right. It does sound like bad customer service for mossberg to expect you to pay, to ship your stock to them, but honestly, they have no way to know whether your stock is the original piece or a clumsy friends. :lol: This is why its best to let the dealer deal with it, the dealer wont lose any money on the deal.

Or not. This is just my opinion.

In either case, Id be annoyed, very annoyed. :lol:

inline300, I almost left it with the dealer. He did say he would take care of it but also said that I could take it home, shoot it with the cracked stock, and mossberg would send me a replacement. I thought this was the better option, but what the dealer did not realize was that I would first need to send it back to Mossberg and that they would then send me the replacement stock. I did check out the gun and strip it down and everything else looks fine. Even the box was in good shape. The crack is very minor, looks like it occurred where two pieces of wood were joined together. It is probably cheaper for me to just pay the $10 in postage, since it will cost me about the same in gas to drive back to the dealer. I should hopefully only be inconvenienced for about a week.

FJT02 said:
inline300, I almost left it with the dealer. He did say he would take care of it but also said that I could take it home, shoot it with the cracked stock, and mossberg would send me a replacement. I thought this was the better option, but what the dealer did not realize was that I would first need to send it back to Mossberg and that they would then send me the replacement stock. I did check out the gun and strip it down and everything else looks fine. Even the box was in good shape. The crack is very minor, looks like it occurred where two pieces of wood were joined together. It is probably cheaper for me to just pay the $10 in postage, since it will cost me about the same in gas to drive back to the dealer. I should hopefully only be inconvenienced for about a week.

I got what your saying.

I just get weird about stuff that I buy new, and right out of the gate, its not right. Its just a personal thing, maybe superstition. :)

Good luck. Hope you get it resolved sooner than later, I can totally identify with you, Id be annoyed.

UPDATE:
I just received my replacement wooden stock from Mossberg today. Everything looks fine and I am planning on trying out the gun tomorrow for the first time. David at Mossberg was very good and helpful with my issue. He even sent me the new stock via 2 day Fed Ex instead of the normal 10 business days that they allow for warranty claims. The total time that I was inconvenienced was one week. Hopefully, there will be no more issues and I will get many years of reliable service with it! Frank.

Back