• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Haven 600at

dead mobster

Copper BB
New poster here from sunny Fla. Figured I'd share this very nice New Haven 600at I picked up. 40 years old and hardly a mark on it. Came with 2 barrels. 28in c-lect choke and 24in smooth cyl bore with rifle sights. I'm 72 and don't hunt or trap/skeet shoot. Just wanted something for hd. So I chopped the 28in barrel to 18. Almost hated to do it.
DSCN2239.JPG DSCN2233.JPG DSCN2232.JPG

Good looking shotgun! I would have cut it to 18"as well. I've had several 870's and several Mossbergs, but the two I've kept are both Mossbergs. I think you made a good HD choice!

Until I decide what to do for a sight I just used a brass cap nut from the cap of an old outside lite I had. It's a little over sized for my old eyes. Attached it with some vhb tape. Like they use for the clipdraw on a hand gun. Stuff really holds.

I had it out at the public range this am. They used to have a lane at the end of the pistol line for shotguns. 7-15-25 yards were available. Now you can use any lane but only at 15 yards and 25 round limit. Thought that might be a little far for a try out and not having shot a 12ga in awhile. I was using a slightly used shoot-n-see 12in target on a cardboard backer. 4 rounds of Estate target loads and a couple of rounds of Federal 000 buck. Patterned much better then I thought for an 18in barrel. The Estate ammo lit up that shoot-n-see target. Almost the whole load right on the target. The 000 blew a large hole almost dead center. I should have kept the target to show but is was kinda torn up. I know, I know, like the big fish that got away. LOL

New poster here from sunny Fla. Figured I'd share this very nice New Haven 600at I picked up. 40 years old and hardly a mark on it. Came with 2 barrels. 28in c-lect choke and 24in smooth cyl bore with rifle sights. I'm 72 and don't hunt or trap/skeet shoot. Just wanted something for hd. So I chopped the 28in barrel to 18. Almost hated to do it.
View attachment 21857 View attachment 21858 View attachment 21859
That is an outstanding condition! I believe mine was made in March of '79 I'm still waiting for the confirmation on that one. Here's a couple pictures. Mine came with the adjustable choke and whatnot. I don't really care for the vent at the end. But I'm going to leave it on. If anything I'll get a 500 barrel for it as opposed cutting anything off. One thing I have noticed about the New Haven 600 at versus the Mossberg 500.. the wood foregrip and stock are beefier all around. Not by a whole lot but definitely noticeable. Or maybe that's just how it is with wooden shotguns in general? I don't know everything I've ever had with shotguns as always been synthetic. Anyway.. that is a beautiful weapon you've got there sir!

Attachments

• 20221210_183033.jpg
    20221210_183033.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221210_183436.jpg
    20221210_183436.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2
TGW79, I'm not 100% certain that you could shorten your barrel down much, if any. You'd have to have at least 18 inches in length remaining to be legal. So, by the time you removed the adjustable choke, I'm unsure what the length would be.

But you are correct. It's a nice looking gun to be 40+ years old.

TGW79, I'm not 100% certain that you could shorten your barrel down much, if any. You'd have to have at least 18 inches in length remaining to be legal. So, by the time you removed the adjustable choke, I'm unsure what the length would be.

But you are correct. It's a nice looking gun to be 40+ years old.
The measurement to where the choke meets the barrel is approximately 18 in. I am assuming and I think it's a fair assumption that back in the day somebody didn't like the long barrel so they cut it down put the choke on it and made it legal as you mentioned. I'm just going to leave it on there you know if it ain't broke don't fix it. The functionality of the weapon is fine it's really smooth. You can tell it's been well used. But that's fine I like that look on a shotgun especially the wooden ones. Most of the shotguns I've ever had they've all just been like a matte finish with polymer or like a Magpul polymer setup. This one's definitely got some weight to it. I like that. I have yet to get out there and put a few shots down range with it.

It doesn't have anything set up for any swivel studs and I noticed that the top of the magazine tube the cap is also lacking a swivel stud. I didn't really want to order just that so I took a pretty heavy duty strap and cut it straight and now there's a sling on it. Doesn't look too bad it's the perfect length it'll serve its purpose. Every long gun I own I put a sling on it. No exceptions.

Actually I have three firearms that I've bought in the last several weeks I've been fired any of them yet. That I came down with covered a few days ago. I was hoping I was going to be one of the lucky few that just didn't catch covid-19. Yeah that didn't work out. This too shall pass and then I'll be out there making noise

Attachments

• 20221215_141548.jpg
    20221215_141548.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
Back