• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW Mav 88 ejection issues -stovepipe

pbatax

Copper BB
Hello, have a brand new Maverick 88 20 gauge.

It stovepipes 3-5 times out of a 25 round box. My other 12 year old Mav88 12ga has never had this issue.

I used Winchester value target loads from WalMart and had several jam the action out of 100 rounds.

*ZERO WalMart Federals failed to extract out of 75 rounds. But I still have 3-5 fail to ejects that were NOT the result of short stroking. I haven't tried actual BRASS ammo.

-I've cycled dozens of spent casings with roughly the same luck.
-The ejector appears fine, I ordered a new one just in case, and tried giving the original an extra bend. No improvement.
-The extractors on the bolt appear to be correctly installed, the one nearest the ejection port has the 90degree angle.
-It can happen when racking the action slowly or fast, though it SEEMS as though racking it hard produces the problem more often. (Am not short stroking)
-When the problem occurs, the shells only partially eject as in they lay out the port sideways.
-Has been thoroughly cleaned.

If possible I'd like to fix this myself, not interested in sending the gun off for a couple of months. And I bought it 40 miles away from my house so I am not driving back there. An info is appreciated even if it is just to tell me to SEND IT BACK thanks!

welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new mav88.
sorry to hear about the problem.

take a look at the pics below,,,first one is a bad cartridge stop,second a good one.
shows how much the bend should be.

Attachments

• bad cartridge stop,bent too much.jpg
    bad cartridge stop,bent too much.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 285
  • good cartridge stop.jpg
    good cartridge stop.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 285
Well yes my shell stop does look like that first one, but I am having zero feeding issues. I did notice it was bowed out more than my other Maverick. Should I fix that if its not causing problems?

And UPDATE, apparently after bending out my ejector some the ejection failures have dropped to about 1 in 75, still annoying though because I still get a few weak ejections where they kind of just roll out.

May need to clean your bolt. The tangs that latch on to the shell may be dirty or worn. The ejector may be loose but it sounds to me that its isn't pulling the spent shell out of the chamber. Is that correct?

Clean it, oil it and shoot it. Only FTE's I have had where the spent shell was just a tad too long, not hanging in the chamber.

Its extracting completely, but when the malfunctions occur fails to eject completely and hangs out horizontally out of the ejection port. Occasionally I get a weak eject where it just dribbles out of the port. Its less often than it was before, but still doing it more than it should. :cry:

New to forum also shotguns new Maverick 88 security having problems too. Will fire 1 Winchester target load aluminum cap head and eject fine fire the 2nd shell and it fires but locks up forarm and release so impossible to move tapped the butt on the table and it fell out did this mutilple times and same thing happend round 1 fine round 2 fires but locks up would like to know if there is anything I can try. Did fire ok with Winchester high brass x shells

guysr said:
New to forum also shotguns new Maverick 88 security having problems too. Will fire 1 Winchester target load aluminum cap head and eject fine fire the 2nd shell and it fires but locks up forarm and release so impossible to move tapped the butt on the table and it fell out did this mutilple times and same thing happend round 1 fine round 2 fires but locks up would like to know if there is anything I can try. Did fire ok with Winchester high brass x shells

welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new mav 88.
first out, did you give it a good cleaning right out of the box? :)

simple answer,,,,,your mav88 dosen't like the winchester target load with the aluminum cap.
i would try a few different type shells and break it in on the one that works the best.

keep us posted.

pbatax said:
Well yes my shell stop does look like that first one, but I am having zero feeding issues. I did notice it was bowed out more than my other Maverick. Should I fix that if its not causing problems?

And UPDATE, apparently after bending out my ejector some the ejection failures have dropped to about 1 in 75, still annoying though because I still get a few weak ejections where they kind of just roll out.

sounds like you are on the right track to fixing the problem.

maybe a bit more adjusting the ejector will do it.

keep us posted.

mossy in regard to maverick 88 and aluminum winchesters cleaning gun before firing I did not clean just wiped down outside oil. would this be a cause for this problem?

,,,,,could be,,,,,sometimes there is a lot of crud from the factory.

i would start with a good cleaning. :)
keep us posted.

UPDATE, fixed

UPDATE: Well the booger was still having ejection issues but atleast no more extraction issues, after those winchesters.

FIXED the problem though, bought a new ejector through Brownells, (I could see no noticible difference in either) BUT the problem is fixed Shot 2 boxes of shells with no stovepipes and no more of those weak ejections neither!

Odd how a brand new shotgun could have an ejector issue, I figured. Thanks for all the input folks.

mossberg's QC needs a little tweaking, if ya know what i mean. ;)

glad to hear you were able to get it working correctly. :D

Mossy Thanks for the info cleaned the 88 like you said also found the winchester shells were steel (stuck to magnet) also polished the chamber a little not much at all seemed cleans smooth and fired the remington target rounds same type of low steel cap and worked fine also tried some old winchester low brass same worked fine when I took it apart noticed trigger assembly full of oil cleand it as best as possible but noticed the forearm release didn't quite open all the way. just pulled back and it ejected the shell ? and release went back to normal position Is there a way to clean the assembly with out taking it apart? would using a air pressure hose clean it and remove the junk Sorry for the long post but want to make it work properly Im thinking the oil may be holding the release from coming out all the way the couple of times it didn't pressed it in and out then worked fine

glad you got the shells working.

as far as the trigger assembly i would NOT take it apart.

maybe soak it in some hoppe's solvent.

Mossy same problem happend this morning so took the trigger assembly out and use lighter fluid applied to assembley toothbrused it and air compresson to blow it out added little oil drop to metal parts went out again it worked perfectly . So I guess all is well with my Maverick .
Thanks for all the help
Guysr.

,,,,glad to hear you got it squared away. :D

be careful with that lighter fluid. ;)

Back