• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member from North Carolina

dhall57

Copper BB
Hello. Glad to be part of this group. A while back I became the owner of a 22 bolt action rifle that my uncle had when he was a kid growing up back in the 1930's. When I got it was put in the back of my closet and honestly forgot about it until a few days ago when I stumble across it in my closet. It's a Wards Western Field No.46 and sold by Montgomery Ward back in the day. Searching the internet I found out it's actually a Mossberg 42. To be 80 some years old the gun is in pretty good shape. Looks to be all original but is missing the 7 round magazine and the rear peep sight. I think they call it a #3 sight. Looks like the magazine is easily avalible on Ebay and other sites even though it's a little pricey. But the peep sight is a different story. I haven't run across any yet of the type that came on this 22 originally. Here are some pics I took.
DSC00030.JPG

DSC00035.JPG
DSC00036.JPG
DSC00034.JPG
DSC00032.JPG

Welcome to the forum from Florida. That's a nice rifle you have.
As far as parts for it I would contact Havlin Sales at (636) 937-6401, they are the pros when it comes to old Mossberg's.

Hello. Glad to be part of this group. A while back I became the owner of a 22 bolt action rifle that my uncle had when he was a kid growing up back in the 1930's. When I got it was put in the back of my closet and honestly forgot about it until a few days ago when I stumble across it in my closet. It's a Wards Western Field No.46 and sold by Montgomery Ward back in the day. Searching the internet I found out it's actually a Mossberg 42. To be 80 some years old the gun is in pretty good shape. Looks to be all original but is missing the 7 round magazine and the rear peep sight. I think they call it a #3 sight. Looks like the magazine is easily avalible on Ebay and other sites even though it's a little pricey. But the peep sight is a different story. I haven't run across any yet of the type that came on this 22 originally. Here are some pics I took.
View attachment 30105

View attachment 30106
View attachment 30107
View attachment 30109
View attachment 30108
Thank's for the info and I'll check them out.

Welcome to the forum. Back in the day Monkey Wards, Sears and Western Auto were likely the largest guns seller in America.

With few exceptions all their products were made but big name manufacturers still in existence today.

If you can't find an original sight a good machinist can likely make you one from a picture and by taking measurements for mounting.

Regards

Welcome to the forum. There is something special about very old 22s. You have an excellent example.

Welcome to the forum.

There are 3 old (1030s~1940s) single shot .22's here and they are awful fun to shoot!

Mossberg sold a bunch to Western Auto under the Revelation brand. Here is a Mossberg 800A labeled as a Revelation R220A.

53356584667_e28a5c9eb9_c.jpg

Welcome to the Mossberg forum.

I would forget about the peep site and put some quality glass on this.

My experience with aftermarket magazines for the Mossberg .22 have been unsatisfying. I wish I could find the originals. I’m sure I have one in my junk (somewhere!) but I got some reasonably priced reproductions from Havlin.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that was a very accurate rifle.

Back