• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member here with intro and question

Thanks, Itsricmo. I'm really focused on the 12"LOP stock and forend grip. But I'm also doing every thing I can to get the camo version. I've started a new thread ( viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7008 ) because this one has pretty much answered my original questions.

No problem and glad your questions were answered! I have moved to your other thread to help you out on that front.

Chris C, the technique GunnyGene and I are talking about are slightly different. For the CAR high position, the one in the pic you attached, I think your technique needs to be adjusted. When shooting allow your elbow and shoulder of your trigger hand to move with the recoil. Combine this with the push-pull technique by holding the grip with just enough force to counter balance the forward push on the forend.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

No problem, always glad to help. I forgot to mention in the CAR high you do not pinch the stock between your bicep and ribs instead it is free to move with the recoil. Shooting slugs and 00 this way I had little to no recoil.

WolfPak said:
......... in the CAR high you do not pinch the stock between your bicep and ribs instead it is free to move with the recoil. Shooting slugs and 00 this way I had little to no recoil.

Now I AM confused. That's exactly why I banged up my knuckle...........allowing the firearm to move freely with the recoil! Guess I'll just have to practice it some when I get a chance.

I think what might be needed with this thread are a couple short videos demonstrating what happens in the various positions. Might be something available on youtube or elsewhere, preferably including slo-mo.

I'll have to admit, the guy in that video sure makes it look easy. Of course, I'm not packing as much weight as he is! :)

That video is the only one that I know of on YouTube that demonstrates the high position with a shotgun except that Paul Castle is doing it one handed. He briefly shows the 2 handed positin and refers to it as the"high position" at 36 and 42 seconds.

I kind of thought things were getting confusing so I took some pictures last night of me doing the CAR high position and roughly how my arm moved under recoil.

8uzeza7e.jpg

Picture 1
Notice I am bladed 45 degrees to the target. I don't cant the gun much because this is my natural hold and I have ghost rings sights that could injury my chest.

na8eny7a.jpg

Picture 2
Here is a side view of that same position. Notice that the stock is not pinched between my arm and ribs but is held slightly out from my body like this picture below. My trigger hand forearm rests on the stock and because I am smaller (5'7", 168lbs) it only partially rests on it. I grip the gun firmly with both hands but allow my elbows and shoulders to move back and forth.

8yvameva.jpg

Picture 3

a7a3amu6.jpg

Picture 4
This picture shows where my arms are when fired and recoil is occurring. My arms rock back to absorb the recoil but I keep the muzzle level so I can fire a follow up shot if required. Note how the receiver rides back, comparing picture 2 and picture 4, with recoil in a line parallel to the ground and at chest height. It is important to stay on target by keeping it level.

Next time I am at the range I may try to take a video.

Remember I have not trained in CAR but this position really worked for me.

Thanks, WolfPack. Super example, and thanks for taking the time to put it together.

When I tried it, I thought that's the way I was holding, only I had it canted out like picture #3.........but then again, I could be wrong. As previously mentioned, my old hands were extremely dry (which they are most of the time) and I most probably didn't have a good grip on the stock. Hoping the Hogue stock will make that situation better.

The Hogue has a lot of grip so that should help. I don't think you have to cant the barrel or hold it to far from the body, only to where it is comfortable and stable and enough distance from the body to allow free back-forth movement of the gun as recoil control. It does sound like your hand was slipping causing the trigger guard to hit your finger. As far as dry hands I to have this problem. I used Lubriderm Advanced Therapy throughout the day.

Alternatively you could use gloves with a rubberized texture like a soccer goalie glove or there are shooting gloves.

Got it. Let's see. Intruder breaks into house. :eek: I politely ask him to wait while I put on my shooting gloves and unlock my trusty 500 from the Obama approved storage device.... :? .......run across the house and get the shells out of yet another Government approved locked container, :roll: load my "boom-broom" and shoot him. I can see it all now! :lol: All kidding aside, I thought about the gloves while trying out the stance the other day. I think the Hogue grip will do the trick.

You say that like it's an unrealistic chain of events. You forgot to mention calling to get gov't approval to discharge your weapon ;-)

Well, I'm not sure I'd do that.............the request would never make it to Obama. He'd go sleep on it and not say anything to anyone until the next day! Think that would leave me in the same boat as Chris Stevens! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris C said:
I politely ask him to wait while I put on my shooting gloves and unlock my trusty 500 from the Obama approved storage device.... :? .......run across the house and get the shells out of yet another Government approved locked container...

lol Check this out.. my father shared this on my FB wall a couple weeks back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWucDHAphQ8[/youtube]

Saddest part, Rick, is that's not all that far from being a fact! God help us and deliver us from the Liberals!

Chris C said:
Saddest part, Rick, is that's not all that far from being a fact! God help us and deliver us from the Liberals!

like the back of my hat says,,,,come and take it.

Molon Labe!! Just read an article that DHS has been buying up "No Hesitation Targets" that depict pregnant women, young children, old men and other Public Threats... I don't know how much truth there is too it but "infowars" has it covered and they are usually pretty accurate.

Back