• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deleted

I have the Mariner carbine model of the 464, and it's not quite as accurate, but it's still a real fun gun to shoot.

I would like to have another 464 in blue steel and Walnut, but in a pistol caliber. I have a .357 Henry lever gun which I really like, because of both the fabulous action and the caliber.

I wouldn't mind having a 464 chambered for .38, .357 or 9mm.

BTW, I think everybody would like to see your other lever guns.

20160309_105745-1.jpg

That's a very impressive sight especially the 88 and the 99.

I own just three lever guns myself & I don't have much history with them.

I love my .22 Henry and think it is the most fun plinking gun with a lever.

The .357 Henry is wonderful and the .30-30 464 is just a little beast.

But I will definitely be in the market for another interesting lever gun in the future.

I own a single action revolver but it is an Italian replica. I don't think it compares well to a real Colt, and so I haven't really been interested in the Italian lever guns myself.

Steve, first off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, excellent collection. I have three levers myself but don't get to shoot as often as I like or should.

Have a great day and stay vigilant.

I have a Rossi evil Roy .38/.357 and compared to a Colt or S&W it's crap IMHO. I wouldn't bother trying to shoot .357s from one of these.

I decided to start another Thread about this in the wheel guns room: Uberti letdown.

I had three serious problems with the Rossi evil Roy and they have not yet been resolved.

The first one is that the main cylinder pin would get dented and burred a little bit, by it's release/retainer every time I fired the gun. It was worse when I shot .357s.

That burr would prevent the main pin from being removed easily.

Eventually I figured out that I needed to reshape the notch in the main pin so it made better contact with the retainer. The groove in the pin just had the wrong radius on it.

Also I think the main pin is too soft and needs to be D2 steel or something harder than the release/retainer. If it gets damaged it is easily removed and replaced but not so the main pin!

Anyhow I made that work.

The second issue is that the cylinder was not honed the same on all six holes. One was ridged bit, and one ringed even worse.

Whenever I shot the gun those two holes would hang on to the spent case. With .357s they swell a little bit more and I literally had to hammer the cases out of the chambers.

I measured them carefully and I can hone the cylinders out a bit, but the fit will never be 100% because there is undercutting. If I hone it enough to remove that the chambers will be too large.

The third problem is the screw that retains the ejector mount to the muzzle end of the barrel. There's not enough threads on the screw and there's not enough threads in the barrel.

After less than 50 rounds it Shook loose and I tightened it. In fact every screw on the gun had shook loose and I clean and lubed and tightened the entire thing.

The rest of the gun stays pretty tight, but I have 200 rounds through this pistol now and that screw cannot stay tight.

Red Loctite will hold it for a little while but after about 6 rounds the muzzle heats up and it just melts.

You run 6 more through it and that little screw shakes loose.

Man Cadd, that just sucks. One would hope the manufacturer would stand behind their product.

I have been wanting a .357 revolver for sometime. Almost 50 years ago I had a model 19 S&W. It was a great gun but I needed some quick cash and a friend offered me more than I paid for it.

I guess I'll stay away from Rossi.

A lot of people love these guns so it's quite possible that I just got a lemon.

I paid extra for the Evil Roy model which was supposed to be their special fancy finish, plus a custom trigger job.

The trigger on this gun is really great. It's also pretty accurate. I just wish it would stay together.

Welcome, Steve, to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Back