• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new member with a new patriot story

Ky wonder

.22LR
I will admit that I have loved shooting long guns for decades, and have owned and still have everything from famous brands to one off customs

Though I have always liked the old 22 Mossberg 44us in my safe it has also been the ugliest gun in my safe.
through the past few years after Mossberg got back into center fire guns, I could never get myself to even pick up one of their rifles, IMO they were some of the ugliest things I ever saw.

A couple years back my lgs brought in a new walnut stocked patriot and I was impressed with the look and feel of the rifle, it just reminded me of a classic rifle from the past, but I own a lot of those classics and did not feel the need to buy one.

Later that fall, my nephew invited a friend and his sons to the farm/ deer camp, for a weekend to deer hunt

I was there when his friend opened the box and removed a black synthetic rifle with scope combo, in 30-06. and they asked me to check the scope for him so I checked the screws and we set up close targets then moved to the 100 yd. range, and the rifle shot very well, ok now I have my curiosity peeked but not enough to buy one.

Three weeks back ,I was back in the same LGS an he had a pair of the a new (distributor run) of the Kyrptec banshee model ( bronze cerakote )hanging on the wall in 243 and 308, I looked at one and was impressed by the way it looked felt and handled.

Later that day I was telling my brother about the new rifles and he stated that he was wanting to buy a new rifle so he could pass it to one of his grandsons , so we went back to the LGS the next morning.

We each ended up buying new 308's in this model and I also picked up a new Tasco world class 3x9x40 scope and rings for mine, so out the door with a new rifle and scope for a price of $378 plus tax.

so I mounted the scope and zeroed the setup and it will shoot,

I had some 150 grain Remington corelocks, as well as some 150 grain federal blue box so after zeroing at 1.5 inch above point of aim ( where I set all my hunting guns) I let it cool and shot for groups
here is a photo of my new rifle

the upper group was Remington 150 grain core lock with a bullseye hold, and the lower group are federal 150 sp, with a 6 o'clock hold, shot from the caulwell lead sled at 100 yds

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

BTW...Nice Setup

I got one about Feb, took it home and ordered a wood stock. Best shooting out of the box rifle I've ever bought! Haven't had to do one thing to it and it is light's out accurate! Wonderful experience. Bought another this past summer in 308, wood of course, and use it as a cast bullet rifle! Have to give Mossberg a lot of credit, they finely produced a CF rifle I can't live without.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum and enjoy a great rifle that doesn’t break the bank.
I have the Patriot in 375 Ruger and love it, this rifle can print on paper well beyond my ability. The only thing I have noticed is my rifle likes a dirty bore I can’t get a good group right after a cleaning (better than 11/2” group) until I put 4-5 rounds down range. That is not a big problem I just make sure I take a few offhand shots to foul the barrel then put it on the bench and once the hunting season starts I leave it fouled until I’m done for the year. Enjoy your rifle and think of all the shooting you can do with the money you saved.
Shawn

I've never been hot on Mossberg CF rifles either. Always a bit to ugly for me. Then I saw a picture of a wood stocked Patriot! Wow! Then found one in Sportsman,s but plastic stock. Wondered if I could make one shoot so bought it and went home and ordered a wood stock for it. Figured I'd have to bed it so took it apart and have no idea how I'd do that, figured it wouldn't shoot to well, then I shot it! 70gr SMK's into right at 1/2" at 100 yds! My 700 Rem in 243 doesn't do any better and cost more. Patriot came with much better trigger out of the box! So needed a new rifle in 308 to shoot cast bullet's in, yep, another Patriot! Put a very old Redfield 1-4x scope on it. On the 243 I put the 3-9x Nikon off my 700 then got a Redfield 2-7x for the 700. I am overly impressed with these Patriot wood stock rifle's, don't cre much for plastic stock's!

Mine is the plastic stock after searching for the 375 for more than a year I took the first one I could get. It is even the marinecote version that I really didn’t want. That being said I figured I would just replace the stock with a Boyd’s and get over the silver color. Well after shooting it on paper I’m not touching anything if I do my part it will group well under 1” at 100 yards.
If it’s not broken I won’t fix it.
Shawn

Mine is the plastic stock after searching for the 375 for more than a year I took the first one I could get. It is even the marinecote version that I really didn’t want. That being said I figured I would just replace the stock with a Boyd’s and get over the silver color. Well after shooting it on paper I’m not touching anything if I do my part it will group well under 1” at 100 yards.
If it’s not broken I won’t fix it.
Shawn
Mine is the plastic also. I thought same thing id replace later but after shooting im not touching anything. Ive always had wood stocks and hated plastic. Now i appreciate not worrying about a scratch and the light weight. The foreend has some flex that initially concerned me but its proven to be a non issue so far.

69D91E50-1134-4265-AC84-EDDE489FF326.jpeg The light weight was a little too light for the 375 it wasn’t painful but it was a handful off the bench so I built a weight for in the stock.
Now it is about 9 pounds and much kinder to shoot. It screws into old butt pad holes an I put a Limbsaver slip on pad over it.
Shawn

Back