• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg 500 with magpul set-up (question)

david libolt

Copper BB
Just brought it home.
Its a 500, but the forend and stock say magpul moe 590

Anyway,question is can I put a heat shield on the 18.5 barrel with the magpul forend?
Also, can I install a saddle set up for six extra shells without interference from forend or magpul butt stock?
Also is there stock or aftermarket any fixed sites that can be installed?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Can't answer the first question, but I think so.

On the side saddle, I know we talked about this somewhere and as I recall, as long as the forend doesn't overlap the receiver (and I don't believe I does) there shouldn't be an issue.

Finally, on the sights, are you looking for rifle sights? There are some, a few different styles. There's the Mossberg ghost ring set up. The rear uses the tapped holes in the receiver. I don't know how the front post is attached. Only problem with some of the sights is they have to soldered in place which means the barrel has to be refinished too. Not that it can't be done. Some companies make "banded" sights, it's a band that fully encircles the barrel. XS Sights comes to mind. There are other means too, like adding a rail to the receiver, then mounting a GRS rear to that, but then there's the issue of matching the front post. There may be sets that escape me at the moment.

Can't answer the first question, but I think so.

On the side saddle, I know we talked about this somewhere and as I recall, as long as the forend doesn't overlap the receiver (and I don't believe I does) there shouldn't be an issue.

Finally, on the sights, are you looking for rifle sights? There are some, a few different styles. There's the Mossberg ghost ring set up. The rear uses the tapped holes in the receiver. I don't know how the front post is attached. Only problem with some of the sights is they have to soldered in place which means the barrel has to be refinished too. Not that it can't be done. Some companies make "banded" sights, it's a band that fully encircles the barrel. XS Sights comes to mind. There are other means too, like adding a rail to the receiver, then mounting a GRS rear to that, but then there's the issue of matching the front post. There may be sets that escape me at the moment.

Not to hijack the thread but thanks for pointing out those banded sights! Seem to be handy install compared to others!

You can install a 6 shell saddle with the Magpul forend. No heat shield with Magpul. I did a two tactical training before I put Magpul furniture and had a heat shield. All the heat shield did was add extra weight to the gun. I also had a Phoenix pistol grip stock that just chewed up my thumb. Thus my conversion to Magpul. Will be doing a 4 day course this September.

Back