• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW Mossberg MMR Modern Rifle Hunter Tactical AR15 5.56 .223

Re: NEW Mossberg MMR Modern Rifle Hunter Tactical AR15 5.56

My 2 cents, building isnt' hard, but I didn't build my first. There is a lot to be said for hands on experience before attempting to build, especially an entire build from scratch.

If you're talking about building in the sense of buying a complete upper, and a lower parts kit and lower receiver, that isn't too hard.

I'm unsure of your local gun laws, but if you do live in long island NY, you could only purchase one with a fixed buttstock, no baynet lug on the front sight post, no threaded barrel/flash hider, and 10 round magazine capacity limit.

Essentially, you'd have to have a postban configuration due to your state laws have enacted a permanent assualt weapon ban.

Functionally, the gun would be almost the same as a preban, but your politicians are scared of shoulder things that go up (reference to Rep. McCarthy)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U[/youtube]

Thanks - very good info. I probably would not have opted for a complete build anyway but it sure makes sense not to do that on the first one. I guess I would go with assemblies for each component and customize later on if there ever was a need or desire to change anything.

Not sure why the fixed, adjustable stock was an issue.

That video pretty much says it all about NY dems. I'm not one.

JT10 said:
Not sure why the fixed, adjustable stock was an issue.

That video pretty much says it all about NY dems. I'm not one.

I don't know why fixed versus adjustable was ever an issue either, but it was.

For that matter, I don't know why any of it was an issue. It was just "feel good" legislation for some politicians at the time. Always thinking they need to make laws to protect us from ourselves. :roll:

Kind of like that super size menu legislation. :roll:

Sorry, but that is not supposed to be the role of elected government, but that is a topic for another day.

I wish you the best of luck obtaining an AR. I've not heard much about the mossberg, so for that reason alone, I would probably urge you to look into the "more common" brands of postban AR15 and use that as a starter.

If I can offer any assistance in explaining specs or terminology, just ask and I'd be more than glad to help.

John A. said:
If I can offer any assistance in explaining specs or terminology, just ask and I'd be more than glad to help.

Many thanks!

So... does anyone here actually HAVE a MMR, or am I the only one so far?

I traded my Mini 14 in on the MMR Hunter and have been quite pleased with it. It's not a bolt gun, but still worlds better than the Mini. Here's what I have noticed about the rifle thus far;

The trigger felt rather heavy, gritty, and had way too much travel. After taking the hammer and trigger out, working on them with a diamond file followed by emery cloth, it's better. Not great, but better.

Magpul magazines work the best with my rifle, others may be different. My rifle also does .35 MOA at 100yrds using Hornady 55gr V-Max Moly, and .4 MOA using BVAC 55gr V-Max. I haven't tried handloads yet, but would expect about the same accuracy (this IS mounted in a vise, my bolt gun does .25 MOA in a vise, vs. me holding it prone w/ sandbags = .6-.7 MOA)

No malfunctions of any kind so far, but... I'll let everyone know how it goes after I have 1-2k rounds through it. If anyone wants any info or pictures of the internals, let me know... and try to be patient. I don't have alot of time to spend on forums at the moment.

PD Sniper
nosce te ipsum

I think you're the second person with an MMR so far. I personally haven't seen one yet in my area and it appears that they're just slowly trickling out into the market...

Yeah, I haven't seen any in my local gun shops (not really surprising considering there's only 2), I had to special order this one and it took 2 weeks to show up.

So far no buyers remorse (does that ever happen when buying a gun?), but I guess we'll see how things look after a few thousand rounds.

PD Sniper
nosce te ipsum

The mmr hunter with the wife's 10/22.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346040075.800820.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346040075.800820.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2,184

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ I have the opposite problem. The only thing I can find on a regular basis is 55gr varmint rounds. I've had to order all my heavier ammo on-line.
DITTO :(

WOW - Bud's has the MMR hunter for $670 free shipping and the Tactical for $712 - they're showing it with sights with nothing further to confirm or deny that is the trim they are shipping - a disclaimer as always " Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order."

7874512144_c81fc4739a.jpg

ONE HOUR LATER UPDATE: ...and the Tactical version is OUT OF STOCK. Want to bet that the Hunter does not make it to the end of the day? That 20" barrel is looking pretty sweet to me. I don't buy guns on credit and my firearms fund is not close to making that purchase - ARG! :(

Hunter and Quad are BOTH back up, live on Buds.

Hello everyone, I got a hunter model this week :D mounted a nikon bdc scope with p series nikon rings and took it out this am for some zero in time, I only got to use 1 brand of ammo, PMC bronze, 55 gr fmj.223 i got it on paper in 4 shots then started to zero it in with 5 more shots. i gave it a few minutes between shots and ran a dry patch after every 3 rounds. my 8 shot group is here also using a colt mag.Im suprised to say the least. 100 yds shots. after each shot i could hear spring resonance comeing from the stock, im not sure of what to do about this noise . I had good luck to as there were no jams,, misfires or failure to eject. Im Happy, something went right for once.

Attachments

• mmr.223 group 001.jpg
    mmr.223 group 001.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,683

Welcome hayman.

Is this your first AR?

Well congratulations Sir,

Only reason I ask is 'cause the spring noise is very common with an A2 style stock. Installing a heavier buffer and spring may help, but there will always be a bit of noise. Other than that, I'm glad to see that it's performing to your satisfaction. Be sure to post up some pics of your MMR when you get a chance...

hayman said:
after each shot i could hear spring resonance comeing from the stock, im not sure of what to do about this noise.

The Sprooing sound is the nature of an AR.

If you simply must make the sound go away, you can get a hydraulic or pnuematic buffer.

Also, a flat coil spring reduces the sound as well, although does not completely eliminate it.

Thanks for the replys guys, im going to keep an eye on this noise, it reminds me of the spring on my post driver that works by massive weight but has dual coil springs that help it return the ram to its starting position, i about stopped that noise by putting 3/4 inch heater hose inside the length of the springs. i guess its like a harmonics damper. the buffers, do they go in the stock? thanks.

hayman said:
Thanks for the replys guys, im going to keep an eye on this noise, it reminds me of the spring on my post driver that works by massive weight but has dual coil springs that help it return the ram to its starting position, i about stopped that noise by putting 3/4 inch heater hose inside the length of the springs. i guess its like a harmonics damper. the buffers, do they go in the stock? thanks.

yes the buffer goes inside the stock (actually inside the reciever extension/buffer tube).

The noise is normal. It's caused by the bolt striking the buffer, which compresses the spring, which returns the bolt back into battery and the sproing sound is a combination of normal spring sound plus the spring rubbing the inside of the buffer tube as it cycles the bolt.

The buffers are available in different lengths and weights (depending on the type of buttstock and sometimes the caliber need a heavier buffer) and the buffers themselves have weights inside of them that act like a deadblow hammer to help eliminate bolt bounce when the bolt closes.

I've lurked here for some time and read all the info regarding the Mossberg MMR from the inception. I wanted to take a few minutes and share my experience. Prior to November 2012 I had an AR type tactical on my radar. I had not acted because I kept finding other items on my "list" that seemed more important. After the last election and just prior to Thanksgiving that little voice in my head said I should pull the trigger on an AR. I had researched for years and wanted to buy from someone with true military experience. In addition, I am from a law enforcement background and have seen upfront and personal the abuse a Mossberg 500 series Mariner could absorb and keep on kicking out the rounds/shells. Once the process of selection started, all the research kicked in. I knew there were a lot of proven weapons out there, but wanted to go beyond that. So, with the knowledge that Mossberg has been a barrel supplier for multiple AR manufacturers and also being aware that Mossberg has provided AR type weapon systems under military contract for years, I pulled the trigger on a MMR Hunter version 5.56 in black. Several months and several thousand rounds later, I couldn't be happier. I have dressed it up a bit. It has a single point sling attached, a Burris 536 Prismatic 4x sight and a Burris Fastfire III mounted on top of that. A bipod attachment finishes it off. Now, it looks great. I love both sighting platforms too. But it's how it shoots that really makes me glad I bought it. The standard barrel is a 20in match grade. I originally sighted it in with the 536 at 25 yards. 1 inch groups were the norm for three of us. One being my 24 year old daughter who had never shot a tactical rifle. On the initial outing we shot 5.56, .223 both military surplus, foreign surplus and cheapo no name brand and high dollar Hornady and Remington. The MMR never hiccuped. Next, I couldn't wait to take her out further. At 100 yds, sub MOA of 2" were still possible and to be honest, too easy from a bench rest position and a rice bag and or the bi-pod. We took it out to 200 yds last week. After figuring out the Burris settings, (Overpowered the target) we were able to do an average of 2.5 in 5 shot groups. We were determined we could have done better had we figured the sights out sooner. Again, all of this from a stationary bench rest. The Fastfire III was dead on out to about 75yds, probably further. It would have been much more fun if we had some moving targets. Using it on stand alone silhouettes was pretty generic. It seems zombie ready enough.

Oh, I remember someone asking early on if the upper and lower receiver were mil spec. Once you tear it down, you realize the firing chamber/mechanism and charging handle are standard AR fare. As with most AR's you can change out the stock easily. Feels good to me, so I'm good to go there. Same for the fore end. I kinda like the funky tapered look of that too. Can you tell I like this rifle?

Early on, most of us are drawn to the aesthetics. And a good many of my friends have been. Once they got to the range, the looks and money spent seem futile. As for me, finding a gun that shoots this sweet for the price point of the MMR tells me that beauty can and should be more than skin deep. Hope this helps.

Back