• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg Owner - How often should it be totally cleaned?

Hooperman42

Copper BB
Hi guys I am the owner of a new Mossberg 20 guage pursuader (or Special Purpose I think they call it due to the back scratcher on the end). With full stock and standoff breacher #50145. I have a few quick questions. First off, how often should the gun be totally broken down and cleaned? I swab out the barrel good and clean all the parts I can see with RemOil on a swab or cloth but I have seen the many YouTube videos of a total cleaning. Is that type of cleaning done on a regular basis and if so what determines when? So many rounds fired or time in between etc.

So far I have shot about 500 rounds. I am 54 never owned a gun or even shot one before so I am really enjoying this at the range and want to keep it in top condition. Also is there another oil/cleaner that you might suggest or is the RemOil fine?

Question 2 - the barrel is hard to get out and slide on. It most often is a matter of tinkering with it before it slips out. When it goes in it lines up nice but still catches when sliding in until it finally just slides in. Is this something I should check out? I want it to fire straight and true and not take any chances even though it looks right and screws down fine. Thanks and good to be aboard!
Hoopman

Re: New Mossberg Owner - How often should it be totally clea

Hooperman42 said:
Hi guys I am the owner of a new Mossberg 20 guage pursuader (or Special Purpose I think they call it due to the back scratcher on the end). With full stock and standoff breacher #50145. I have a few quick questions. First off, how often should the gun be totally broken down and cleaned? I swab out the barrel good and clean all the parts I can see with RemOil on a swab or cloth but I have seen the many YouTube videos of a total cleaning. Is that type of cleaning done on a regular basis and if so what determines when? So many rounds fired or time in between etc.

So far I have shot about 500 rounds. I am 54 never owned a gun or even shot one before so I am really enjoying this at the range and want to keep it in top condition. Also is there another oil/cleaner that you might suggest or is the RemOil fine?

Question 2 - the barrel is hard to get out and slide on. It most often is a matter of tinkering with it before it slips out. When it goes in it lines up nice but still catches when sliding in until it finally just slides in. Is this something I should check out? I want it to fire straight and true and not take any chances even though it looks right and screws down fine. Thanks and good to be aboard!
Hoopman

Barrel: The slide needs to be about 1/2 way back when installing the barrel. If the slide is full forward the barrel will be hard to install/remove. As for cleaning, about the only thing you need to do is swab out the barrel. WD-40 and a fluffed up Tampax does a fine job. Full tear down as needed, but probably pretty rarely.

Hooperman42 said:

Hoopman

congrats on your new mossy.
i was taught you clean it every time after you shoot it.(at the end of the day) after you break it down a few times it becomes second nature. so i will say dismantle and clean every time. :)
don't know about remoil,i use hoppes.
as far as the barrel coming off and on,,,you need to find the "sweet spot" on how far back you pull the forend back when taking it off. some times you need to move it back and forth a bit.
enjoy your mossy. any other questions,post 'em up,plenty of helpful people here.
heres a good video on the break down,,,,
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

1st off Welcome to the site.
Now for the rest...

I personally use CLP or Break Free for cleaning and lube products. Never had any issues and have always used them since they were used by my father during his Corps days and after, kinda grew up with the stuff. Anyways, as far as time frame to fully clean, well the only way to know its 100% is to inspect each part, right? So I suggest "as often as you feel comfortable, and after a day at the range."

Guys thanks a ton I really appreciate it and Ill look for that sweet spot. I thought it must be something like that cuz one of the guys who pulled the magazine block out slipped it right it. Really enjoy it so far. Finally found a source for some cheap buck for the Gander Acadamy in 20G too that is nuts to pay six bucks for 5 rounds when I can find remington or winchester around. OR higher for anything else. They only allow slugs and buck at this range which is dynamite by the way. I had an ex army range instructor give me a lesson and he was terrific on firing and loading as you go so its never empty. LOVE the safety on top being a lefty too. I said "dude if it take this much lead one of us would be dead already... he said ya but aint it fun like this." Of course it was my dime on the rounds. And there was a time when nobody would have called this guy "dude" in the military! A young guy too. Took all the mystery out of it. I was VERY nervous having never shot anything but a pellet gun 40 years ago. He said relax your going to learn some things and I want you to come away with two things... Learning to be safe and effective and having some fun. We went for over an hour. I got the 20G vs a 12G due to what I had heard about muzzle flash etc at night and so my wife can use it. She has a lesson coming up. She's a personal trainer in fitness so she is ready to go. Not much intimitates her. Especially me! She already had the huge light or no light debate with me so I chuckle when I see so many posts on these forums about the same thing over and over. I look at it this way.... there is an on and off switch. Case closed. Thanks! Hoop

Welcome to the site-i personally clean my gun after every 100 rounds. Thats a full disassembly. For one-its so easy, so why not. Also, its my way of making sure no carbon builds up anywhere and cakes on. I also like to inspect it that often for any abnormalities. Thats just me. I hear some guys who don't clean their shotguns for years with tons of use.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

I bore snake it after every session, full clean every 200 or so.

Any new to me gun new or used I'll usually tear it down as much I as I possibly can just to learn the inner workings of it for my own knowledge. I'll clean out any significant crud from a previous owner on a used gun or the factory preservatives from a new one but after that I'd say unless the gun just starts to run really rough or completely siezed up theres no need for a complete tear down and each and every time.

I usually just give mine a good wipe down externally, swab the barrel out, wipe the bolt face down, squirt some oil on parts where I know theres contact points requiring it and be done with it.

I love CLP and use it liberally but good ol rem oil, hoppes 9 etc... works equally well.

Wash, rinse, repeat every several 100+ rounds as I feel its required.

It will only cycle better with usage as those parts wear in. Good incentive to get out to the range and break her in :D. A couple of snap caps is a great investment. You can also just save some spent shells from your next range outing too and use em the same. At home on a rainy evening pop in your favorite movie or two and practice loading and cycling the action on the couch. Also practice working the safety as well. This will help the action wear in. Also builds up muscle memory without having to spend good money on live ammo and beating your shoulder up too but that works equally as well.

Best of luck.

I totaly clean mine when it is new and when it gets wet. The rest of the time it's just wipe down and lube.

I'm not big on the whole cleaning thing. LOL

Since it is a new gun, I always recommend that you clean your gun A LOT.
This is not so much to keep it clean, being a pump gun, cleanliness is not that important for proper operation, but to make you familiar with all the parts and how they work.
IMHO you need to know how to disassemble and reassemble all your guns with your eyes closed.

LTB45 said:
Since it is a new gun, I always recommend that you clean your gun A LOT.
This is not so much to keep it clean, being a pump gun, cleanliness is not that important for proper operation, but to make you familiar with all the parts and how they work.
IMHO you need to know how to disassemble and reassemble all your guns with your eyes closed.

I guess I will amend my statement. If you are new to guns or this is a new gun to you it is extreamly beneficial to spend time learning it's operation. Good points LTB.

Back