• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New mossberg sa-20 bantam

Jogar80

.22LR
My 8 yr old boy shot his friend’s 28ga beretta A400 with shortened stock this dove season and loved it. I don’t have the coin to buy an A400 and cut it down, nor buy a constant supply of 28ga ammo. I got ahead of myself and ordered him a mossberg sa-20 bantam. The thinking was that I could match the recoil of a typical 28ga load by using a 3/4 oz 20 ga load. I have already ordered a box of Fiocci extra low recoil 20ga which is a 3/4oz load of 7.5 shot at 1075 velocity. Is there any chance in hell of this load cycling the action? Or anything I can do to MAKE it work? I’m now afraid I’ll have to sell it and go to a 28ga. Any ideas?

My best advice is to try it and see what happens. Guessing it likely won't cycle being new and using low recoil rounds.

Next best is to purchase a replacement spring that's softer than stock or get a direct replacement and work on shortening the spring by clipping it bit by bit until it cycles. By getting a replacement spring you can always return it to it's original configuration and return it or sell it or just keep it and use it as originally designed.

Before clipping the spring, I'd recommend running several hundred full power loads (heavy game loads at least) to break the spring in and then see what happens from there.

My best advice is to try it and see what happens. Guessing it likely won't cycle being new and using low recoil rounds.

Next best is to purchase a replacement spring that's softer than stock or get a direct replacement and work on shortening the spring by clipping it bit by bit until it cycles. By getting a replacement spring you can always return it to it's original configuration and return it or sell it or just keep it and use it as originally designed.

Before clipping the spring, I'd recommend running several hundred full power loads (heavy game loads at least) to break the spring in and then see what happens from there.
I like the idea! Are we talking removing one coil at a time, or less than that?

Don't jump the shark until he is in the pond. ;) Wait until you get the gun and try the various loads to see if they cycle. As CMC mentioned, you might have to run some heavy loads to "break" it in. Also make sure you disassemble the gun when you get it and give it a good lube. Don't over-oil the gas piston, though... Mine is a shorter barrel and seems to cycle what I have put in it so far.

If it comes to the point where you need to clip the spring, I'd lean on the conservative side and clip a little at a time, reassemble and keep trying the low recoil rounds until it cycles. Remember though, once the spring is shortened if you run full power loads you'll beat the crap out of the internals. There's always trade-off's. That's why I'd highly recommend getting a replacement spring. If you want to run regular loads through it then you can throw the proper spring back in and bang away.

I like the idea! Are we talking removing one coil at a time, or less than that
If it comes to the point where you need to clip the spring, I'd lean on the conservative side and clip a little at a time, reassemble and keep trying the low recoil rounds until it cycles. Remember though, once the spring is shortened if you run full power loads you'll beat the crap out of the internals. There's always trade-off's. That's why I'd highly recommend getting a replacement spring. If you want to run regular loads through it then you can throw the proper spring back in and bang away.
soon as it comes it I’m going to take it apart for a good cleaning then give it hell with some heavy loads. Probably order a replacement spring tomorrow if I can find it. Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated!

Ooops. I went off half-cocked! Too early in the morning, not enough coffee and opened mouth before reading threads.

Yep, he may be fine with standard target loads in 20-gauge, no need to look for low recoil stuff. Yet.

Attachments

• 1694516655034.png
    1694516655034.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nope. I don't think any of us jumped on anything except providing the OP some advice which strangely enough is not dissimilar to what you just posted.

Got the gun, cleaned it, ran 100 rds of 1oz game loads through it and not exactly kid friendly. Ran some 7/8oz loads and works great, but my boy thinks it’s still a bit harsh. Ran a 3/4oz load at 1075fpm and he likes that, just gun doesn’t cycle. Not really sure the bolt is moving at all, can’t tell. Somebody tell me what to do, lol. I read somewhere beretta offers a light load spring for there 20ga?

Being in Canada, I'm not exactly sure where to point you but my guess from own internet searches would be Brownells or Midway. I would call and talk with someone if you can't find exactly what you're looking for online. I've been constantly amazed at the availability of parts you guys have that we just can't seem to get our hands on up here.

Oh...you can try Wolff Springs too.

As @JCinPA mentioned before you can show your boy this video. And you can practice it together. It works. I use this method myself consistently for years now.

Last edited:
I don't have kids but I've spent some time trying to get my girlfriend comfortable shooting different guns. She is very recoil sensitive. Have you tried any less intrusive methods before messing with the spring? Aka a better recoil pad? I have the slip on Limbsavers and swap them between guns when my girlfriend shoots, she says they make quite a difference. I don't notice it much because I'm use to heavy recoiling guns.

Also I agree with JCinPA and cmcdonald, get him checking out videos and practicing his stance, grip, etc. The best way to mitigate recoil is proper technique. Lighter loads and gizmos can't replace good training. But again, I've never dealt with kids. I don't have kids of my own and all my nephews grew up with no interest in shooting. *Sigh*

Maybe someone else can answer this, like @Bobster...but does the SA-20 have a reversible gas piston? I totally forgot about that because my autoloader does not have that feature but some do.

Maybe someone else can answer this, like @Bobster...but does the SA-20 have a reversible gas piston? I totally forgot about that because my autoloader does not have that feature but some do.

If you mean to "flip" the piston so different ports are exposed, I'm fairly certain it doesn't.

Well …. I was a bit disappointed today so I just went out and tried the extra low recoil rounds again and…… IT WORKS! Didn’t do anything except make sure the butt is solidly against my shoulder. Throwing shells about 3’, amazing.
Fantastic!

Back