• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW OWNER LOOKING FOR INFO! THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

IMG_20140825_004135.jpg IMG_20140825_004135.jpg IMG_20140309_112744.jpg Hello all, I recently acquired my late gramps Canadian made Lakefield Mossberg 500AB (12 gauge). It has a very nice wood stock and finish, engraved receiver, engraved jeweled bolt and has a American Made 30 inch vent rib FULL choked barrel.
1. Can anyone tell me any information about this shotgun?
2. Is the barrel safe to use with steel shot, and if not not, what are my options that are safe? Finding a replacement barrel is hard. No one wants to give them up :(IMG_20140309_112744.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking gun.

Does it have interchangeable choke tubes? It sounds like it does not.

I'd be a bit leery about shooting steel thru it, particularly it being a FULL, until I consulted a competent gunsmith. I wouldn't trust the answer you would get from Mossberg because I think you could call several times and get several answers.

I say no on Duck hunting (Just assuming here) with steel shot and a fixed full barrel.
I would not do that.
If finding another barrel is that hard then find a competent gunsmith to thread the barrel for chokes.

Thanks for the responses. No. It does not use choke tubes, it's just a fixed full choke. The idea of getting it threaded for chokes sounds good to me. I'll have to make some more inquiries around here.

The idea of getting it threaded for chokes sounds good to me. I'll have to make some more inquiries around here.

Actually around here a newer or used barrel is much cheaper than getting a barrel threaded for tubes.
Barrels can be found everywhere. Hell we can even get them off of Ebay.

Back