• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner of 590A1...just installed magpul forend and stock

Jeff

Copper BB
Two things I am concerned with are

1) The magpul forend has about 1/4 to 3/8 play in it. It moves about that much in whichever direction you are pumping it before the action starts to move. It's not noticeable really when your pumping it. But If you were to cycle the action fully and leave it fully forward, that 1/4 slack falls down towards the receiver. Is this only mine? It seems to cycle and eject just fine. Haven't fired it yet as I just got it.

2) The trigger has quite a bit of noise in it when I take the slack out. Its a metal on metal sound and a little springy. As soon as I got home I installed the magpul on the thing right after picking it up so I don't know if its supposed to be like that.

Thanks for the help

Is the play front to back or side to side? Sounds like front to back if that is the case you may have forgotten to install the spacer between the forend and the forend nut.

IIRC these are designed for the long slide assembly so that should not be the issue.

Congrats on the new Mossy and I can't say anything more.. My 590A1 is rock solid now, and I haven't gotten past the new gun thing yet to determine if there is any play. If I recall ym Grandfathers Winchester 1897 had some fore end play that I never worried about. Guess I just didn't think about it with the Mossy.

Is the play front to back or side to side? Sounds like front to back if that is the case you may have forgotten to install the spacer between the forend and the forend nut.

IIRC these are designed for the long slide assembly so that should not be the issue.

Well before I did the install I saw the stock forend did wiggle side to side if I twisted it. But with the magpul forend it has a tad bit of slack where the forend moves a little before the action does.

When I was installing it I did put the anti rotation ring in there and then the nut. As I was tightening the nut the tool popped out the little small nubs. Me being paranoid I untightened it and then retightened it to make sure I didn't strip it out. It seemed fine.

The Magpul came with two spacers but only one fit. I guess the other is for the 500.

Well before I did the install I saw the stock forend did wiggle side to side if I twisted it. But with the magpul forend it has a tad bit of slack where the forend moves a little before the action does.

When I was installing it I did put the anti rotation ring in there and then the nut. As I was tightening the nut the tool popped out the little small nubs. Me being paranoid I untightened it and then retightened it to make sure I didn't strip it out. It seemed fine.

The Magpul came with two spacers but only one fit. I guess the other is for the 500.

Well I ended up taking the forend and unscrewing the castle nut. I reinstalled it and it seems to have taken that movement out of the actual magpul forend and the action.

The trigger though is still a question. Is it supposed to have that metal on metal sound. Its not loud or anything but its just a curiousity if its supposed to be like that

Something doesn't sound right about Problem #1. If you've fixed it, great!

Metal-to-metal sound on an (aluminum) A1 trigger is a good thing. The polymer ones go thud.

Back