• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner! Trigger question

FlatlanderIA

Copper BB
Hello friends!

Just picked up my first Mossberg, 590a1. 20'' with bead. Have not even shot it yet. Upon dry firing and checking out the action, I found that the trigger pull seemed really stiff. Almost like something was wrong. I have a Westernfield branded Mossberg 500 I inherited and it's much much lighter of a pull. I would say the 590a1 almost takes EFFORT to pull that trigger to dry fire. Is this right? Would the pull be any different when I dry fired VS when a shell is loaded? I wonder maybe it just has to break in a bit? Other than that... looks like it will be a lot of fun! Cheers.

TIm

Anytime you get a new gun, the contact points will take some time to "wear in".

That's true for all the parts whether you're talking about the bolt, the slide, the trigger, etc.

My 500 doesn't exactly have the best trigger either, but I'm accustomed to a lot of precision triggers in my other guns.

But the 500 trigger doesn't feel like something is wrong with it. Just heavy and long.

John A. said:
Anytime you get a new gun, the contact points will take some time to "wear in".

That's true for all the parts whether you're talking about the bolt, the slide, the trigger, etc.

My 500 doesn't exactly have the best trigger either, but I'm accustomed to a lot of precision triggers in my other guns.

But the 500 trigger doesn't feel like something is wrong with it. Just heavy and long.

Many states have minimum trigger pull standards. Most will be around 8 to 10lbs for any factory made firearm. These aren't enforceable 'regulations', but most manufacturers will abide by them. You are free to have that adjusted at your expense.

Back