• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Patriot owner with questions

John Peterson

Copper BB
So I picked up a patriot in the black synthetic in .308 caliber. Love the action and the handling of this rifle. Just one question though. I know that other models of Mossberg rifles with detachable magazines will fit aftermarket magazines. Does the Patriot fit aftermarket mags? Is Mossberg going to offer a 10 round capacity mag later perhaps?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum John !!

I do believe aftermarket .308 magazines will fit the Mossberg Patriot...

So I picked up a patriot in the black synthetic in .308 caliber. Love the action and the handling of this rifle. Just one question though. I know that other models of Mossberg rifles with detachable magazines will fit aftermarket magazines. Does the Patriot fit aftermarket mags? Is Mossberg going to offer a 10 round capacity mag later perhaps?
Any luck? I & many others are wondering the same thing. I have the 308 / Vortex / Walnut / 27942. 10 round clip minimum needed 4 my needs.

Give me liberty or give me death!

I too want a 10 round mag.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

The Patriot rifle is still new to the market and as far as we know, there is no alternative to the internal magazine. At some point a detachable box magazine kit may be developed, but those are usually introduced by aftermarket manufacturers. These kits typically don't hit the market until the rifle platform has been on the market for quite some time...

I am just impatient. I want it now
Truth is I think they would sell a bunch more rifles and magazines if they offered one. Fact is they are easy to do with injection molding. It is not rocket science.

I get what you're saying, but that's really not the market Mossberg is going for with this rifle. They have the MVP line for box fed applications...

People don't want 20 or 30 round magazines for this rifle, just a 10. It is great the standard ones hold 5 now. The patriot can become the true new every man's rifle like the 700 did 50 years ago.

Hi epwrangler! Merry Christmas! I agree, the more the Merrier! For my 308 I definitely want a 10 vs the stock one it came with. Heck 15 or 20 would be appealing to me for hog hunting. I like the precision & challenge of a single bolt action quality rifle.

For the range I would definitely use a 30 if available, less hassle, but hey that's just me. Don't worry, the Mossberg Patriot Rifle line comes in 60+ configurations & has been available for purchase for less than 1 year. I expect a 10 & 15 option to be available by the summer from someone.

Mossberg is a fantastic company with a great reputation, the new Patriot Rifle Line is superb & expansive... Some of the seasoned Mods on the forum should organize a petition to a couple of the best aftermarket suppliers, maybe that might kick em in the pants a bit. Off the top of my tired head I can't think of the best options right now, but here are a few... Any seasoned forum pros wanna chim in here...

* Mec-Gar USA Inc
905 Middle Street Middletown, CT 06457
phone +1 860-635-1525

* Tapco

Telephone Contact
Customer Service: 1-800-554-1445 Dealer: 1-844-700-0870

FAX
Toll Free: 1-800-226-1662
Local: 770-425-1510

Customer Service Email:
customerservice@tapco.com

Mailing Address:
TAPCO
P.O. Box 2408
Kennesaw, GA 30156-9138

*SHOT SHOW 19 - 22 January 2016

Start planning to attend SHOT-SHOW 2016! The event is January 19-22, at Sands Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV USA.

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

Why am I thinking, "With a .308 you might want to stop & let the barrel cool after 10 rounds."?
I've never owned one, but, is this ever a problem with .308 rounds + high capacity mags: Warping the gun?

Why am I thinking, "With a .308 you might want to stop & let the barrel cool after 10 rounds."?
I've never owned one, but, is this ever a problem with .308 rounds + high capacity mags: Warping the gun?

I doubt you'd be able to run the bolt fast enough and load subsequent rounds to get the volume of fire that would warp the barrel. Sure, POI shift would definitely occur, but warping?.. I highly doubt it. It would be hard to do even in a semi auto configuration.

If I could get my hands on a 10 or larger mag I'd be up 4 trying! Anyone wanna race?

I just remember my.first bolt gun for deer hunting, a lee enfield no.4 mk1. It had a 10 round detachable magazine. I also haf a Remington 7400 which has 10 round magazines. No warped barrels.

The simple main reason The Patriot Line basically comes with a stock 5 round magazine, according to a dealer, who spoke to a Mossberg rep... So it is too far removed to be a reliable source of info, but the bottom line is as a new Line of 60+ Rifles the business / political decision was made to keep costs as low as possible without sacrificing quality. Hence the 5 round capacity magazine is standard. Of course politics, lawyers, & litigation prevention has nothing to do with it. The minimum I would want is a 10 round magazine, but I am definitely biased towards the largest possible capacity magazine mindset.

The BS factor at play I bet. They don't have a reason but I am sure some smart aftermarket guy will be offering them soon enough.

Folks, the Patriot was designed as a low cost hunting rifle.

With five round maximum capacity laws in effect for rifle hunting in most states, there's absolutely no reason for Mossberg to design the Patriot line with anything other than a five round mag. Mossberg developed the Patriot to replace two rifle lines, the ATR 100 and the 4x4, neither of which had anything more than a five round capacity...

They do.

People generally don't get upset with Ford because the Taurus doesn't come in 4WD. There are other models made for those needs.

Not trying to be argumentative or confrontational, but Mossberg designed this rifle as a simple, low cost hunting platform. I seriously doubt that they have identified a market for or any need to modify it beyond its intended role at this point, especially considering the success of their MVP line. They've already got it covered...

That makes perfect sense from a business / political perspective & jives with the info I received. My state does not have that limitation, nor does my county, but many jurisdictions do apparently [emoji203] . The private land we hunt on is swarming with an overabundance of feral hogs. The pests from hell that destroy a massive amount of crops, especially here in the South. Most folks around here use a precision AR or AK platform to deal with these beasts, but I prefer the challenge of an old school bolt action hunting rifle. As long as at least half of us have an AR / AK I feel safe doing so. There is safety in #'s as these feral creatures do occasionally try to attack us when we hunt them. I have a darn good reason to want a higher magazine capacity, for all my weapons, it's called I don't want to be the one who gets mamed or killed!!!

The FBI's statistics on trained law enforcement professionals who hit their targets range anywhere anywhere between 18% - 7% of the time. Meaning that 82% - 93% of all shots fired completely miss the assailants. Even when hit, some assailants must be hit 2, 3, 4, 5, even 6 or more times to STOP the threat!!! Facts are facts & are very stubborn things... Next time ya carry a weapon, make sure ya have plenty of ammo [emoji318]
Folks, the Patriot was designed as a low cost hunting rifle.

With five round maximum capacity laws in effect for rifle hunting in most states, there's absolutely no reason for Mossberg to design the Patriot line with anything other than a five round mag. Mossberg developed the Patriot to replace two rifle lines, the ATR 100 and the 4x4, neither of which had anything more than a five round capacity...

Back