• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New rifle...striped out mag release

I decided to clean my new 715T last week and after disassebly, cleaning and re assembly....then when I went to tighten the screw for the mag release I realized the threads were striped. This had to be from the factory assembly. I have 2 715t's and I know I didn't strip it out myself...as my first rifle I've had apart about 10 times. Anyway, anyone know where I can get a new mag release? :evil:

If you want ill trade you mine. I dont see a big deal with it.

Just put a larger screw in it. simple

Or better yet if you want ill send you a slightly larger screw? PM me your info and ill drop one in an envelope and send you one.

Give me a minute ill dig up a few screws and shoot some images of the stock one and a few that i think will work in its place and you can pick.

Here are a few i dug up, if you have a local hobbytown that sells R/C cars and parts they usually have random screw kits and these little screw kits are for plastic. If you found one that is the same size but just a little longer it will work. I put a little rod down in the screw hole and its a little deeper then the stock screw. The best ones i found i think are the silver ones those look the same just slightly longer and i dont think it would take much to thread them in. If you can live with silver?

The stock screw on mine i have circled in red.
715magrelease3_zps5bfc33c1.jpg

The rod i put blue tape around it where the top of the stock screw head will stop.
715magrelease2_zps2b0c33a3.jpg

You cna see these silver one look about the right length to rethread into the mag release base.
715magrelease1_zps63c8177b.jpg

Bit of advise for u guys stripping these mag releases out......if u spin the crew backwards while installing u can feel the screw drop into the threads already cut buy the screw...then nicely snug it up .........if u do not use this method for metal screw in plastic the screw will just cut new threads in the old threads removing more material until the point it strips....

I haven't looked closely but I know my mag release will go in either direction, pretty far. Is that normal and what Is the correct direction to push to release, downwars, right? It seems to rotate upward past the protrusion on the receiver etc which I don't thi sis good.

Ya know that was something that i worried about the very first day i got mine. I had problems getting my mag to drop out. I felt the tension on that spring was just a little to much for my liking. I pushed on the lever pretty hard before it would release and slip out.

So the first time i tore mine down that was one of the firs tthings i worked on. I took the little spring out on mine and i put it over a screw driver and compressed it fully. I then heated it with a lighter a couple of time wich took some of its tension out.

I still find myself struggeling with it at times but it still holds, nothing has stripped and im not having any feed issues *knocks on wood* so im happy with it.

Mossberg715Tmagrelease_zpsdf282c90.jpg

Mossberg715TTrigger_zps16eb7705.jpg

eavery said:
Bit of advise for u guys stripping these mag releases out......if u spin the crew backwards while installing u can feel the screw drop into the threads already cut buy the screw...then nicely snug it up .........if u do not use this method for metal screw in plastic the screw will just cut new threads in the old threads removing more material until the point it strips....

Yes! once i learned this little trick my days of stripping screws in plastic were over. When you back it out you can feel the screw lift up on the driver then drop as soon as it drops thats when you change the direction and the first thread starts to catch. You can do that with most screws but i find the larger self tapping screws are easier to feel then machine type that have tighter more fine threads.

Back