• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newbie here... 715t owner... uggh.

rashad

.22LR
hey guys! I just purchased my first tactical .22, the 715t w/carry handle, much to my wife's dismay due to a lack of communication and an impulse purchase lol... and I have been lurking here trying to WebMD the crap out of this shitcannon...

Yesterday was the first day shooting it.. I had bought 200 rounds of CCI Stinger, per the shop's recommendation for this gun. I have read every thread that has been written (all 80 pages of each) about this gun, the mag problems, the ammo pickiness, the way it looks at your wife when you are in the other room... etc etc.. I have read threads with my time machine that havent been written yet.... I am sick of reading how I was scammed and cannot get a refund on this $300 paperweight that works fine for 1 in 156,000 people...

So that being said, I am trying to make it better.. I dont want to send it to mossberg just based on what I have read here about their customer service. My gun shop is not exactly local and I cannot get them on the phone or get them to call me back...

So my issue has been the FTF issue. I can load the mag fine... 25 rounds, no biggie. It was loaded for a week before I shot it. Anyhow, my wife and I joined the local gun range, grabbed the gun and my pistol and went shooting, all excited like kids on Christmas. I popped in the mag, and let er rip! Crack!... click... uhh... FTF. Ok. mag released.. bullet bent in half from the bolt... reinsert mag, charge, and CRACK!... click... rinse and repeat.. Every other shot was a FTF... in fact the ONLY ones that fired were the ones that I loaded using the charging handle. After wasting about 20 rounds and firing 5... I was pissed.

I realized I did not clean the gun at first like they tell you.. so I came home and fully cleaned and lubed her up.. I did notice a weird piece of plastic that looked like it might have come out of my tools, so after scouring vids of 715 assembly on youtube and not seeing it, I came to the conclusion that it was not from the gun...

Of course, you all know that was the spring buffer, but more on that in a second. So I went out today and met a former Green Beret from Texas, who was super nice and was giving competition shooting lessons to a dude. He looked at my gun and lent me some winchester ammo to try as an alternative... nice guy.

Now this is interesting... My ammo would do the same thing as before... FTF ... but now it was only every 5th round or so.... not as bad...and pretty random.

Get this: HIS ammo would feed every single time... however, it would cause the charging handle to lock back open after EVERY SINGLE SHOT. Weird... Only his ammo did that. Mine would just commit suicide by bolt... his slower non hp ammo would fire every time.. but then it would cause the bolt to lock open. I did notice his was 40 grain while my CCI Stinger was 36 or something....

Now to make things even more confusing... after running 100 rounds (well maybe 75-85 actually fired) through her, I realized she was getting better... i did tape the mag btw which helped it stay up and in place. I also realized about five minutes ago that the spring buffer was not in... which got me thinking.. maybe that would have kept the bolt from locking and maybe I should use his ammo??

Thoughts? I know this is confusing, quite honestly I cant remember if I am on hayabusa.org posting about my brock's full exhaust or talking about guns... either way its loud and pissing me off. :D

ok...so i'll relate my story...bought the 715t semiauto...or so i thought...1st magazine...i was lucky to get 4 in a row to feed...the crazy bolt would stick open...2nd magazine...it got worse...by about 100rds or so...i was down to a 715t single shot because of that crazy bolt sticking...now some of these guys will tell ya...ya need to clean it...whoops...did that before the first round, again after about 75 rounds as i thought maybe i didn't lube it enough, then again after another 75 rounds thinking i over lubed...still a single shot...called up mossberg...they said send it in...on my dine...ahhh no...fought with them to get a shipping label and 3 weeks later it came back with a new "trigger housing assembly" and another magazine...i'm all exited like now...especially since it was about a 10 day turnaround

head to the range the next day and that pesky bolt acts like it should but low and behold, i'm stovepiping like there is no tomorrow...it's so bad that i had some of my incoming rounds bent and crimped...i tossed those deep into the woods...i was on an oddball shift for a few weeks that wouldn't let me call during their open hours so i was forced to communicate by email...i was told to send it back, but was trying to get the free shipping again...3 weeks later i gave up and just the $300 paperweight back on my own dime...it came back about 2 weeks later(they received it the day before thanksgiving). i took it to the range and went through about another 150 rounds with only 3 fail to ejects...

i ended up selling it to a friend who was aware of the issues for $280...i paid $300 for the gun, $30 for a 2nd mag(got a 3rd on for free from mossberg) and 17 to ship it to mossberg the 2nd time...

yes i lost a little bit of money, but i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be rid of it...and a few weeks later, i found a smith and wesson m&p15-22 for $450. it has eaten everything i have put in it, so far i have shot twice as many rounds through it as i put through the mossberg...it's only had 2 fail to ejects(one was my brother and one was my mother...possible limp wristing)...and my hit percentage is greater, even though i am shooting a farther distance...

basically what i hope you get out of that other than you aren't the only one with a p.o.s. is that the bolt sticking open is a problem that mossberg has and they know how to fix it...

now that i have said that, i'll play nice and say "GEE, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS. THESE GUNS ARE FLAWLESS AND NO ONE BUT YOU HAS EVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH THEM. IF SOMEONE ELSE SAYS THEY HAVE, THEY ARE TELLING STORIES AND MUST NOT LIKE MOSSBERG. THESE 715T'S ARE THE BEST .22LR TACTICAL SEMI AUTO OUT THERE. YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH ONE."

Welcome to the site, rashad. Sorry to hear the problems your having. I don't own a 715 so I can't help. Hopefully, some of the site's regulars can help you out and get your firearm running like it should.

speedy I read your dilemma a few times lol.. I am sorry about that and you are the reason i dont want to deal with mossberg yet.. I am trying to fix my magazine as we speak.. we are sanding and beveling the edge because I believe that is the major problem. The mag is so cheap looking compared to my ruger lc9 clip.. its amazing they even used this for production.... I may end up going the same route as you though brother.

Ok...now that I have looked at it all night, and sanded and messed with it.. I just feel... robbed. I have spent way too much on ammo and wasted so much time on a gun that never worked correctly, even 10 shots in a row. This is simply unacceptable... In a world where walmart returns items that arent even bought in their store to make people happy.. we have allowed firearms to be one of the most expensive, unreturnable, and "customer is always wrong" items out there.

I am going back to the gun shop and seeing what my options are. If I explain to them that their $50 or $100 profit (probably not even that much) on this gun could be so much more if they will simply return this one for even store credit for goodness sake... I would gladly buy something else. Not to mention my 1000 facebook friends and countless local friends who I would gladly refer to them. Word of mouth travels fast...especially negative. So for their sake I hope they make good. If I bought a new Toyota and it was a lemon, I would certainly expect the dealer to make right... not have to send it back to Toyota! lol.

actually, that is what mossberg wanted me to do...was have the dealer make it right...i looked at as it is not the dealers fault that mossberg sent them a $300 paperweight, but mossberg wanted me to have them ship it back.

as far as a comparison to a toyota...the salesman/woman that sold you the car is not the one fixing toyota's mistake. a mechanic is on toyota's dime, not the dealerships.

i say ship it back to mossberg, make sure it is actually fixed when it returns and sell it...i listed mine on a facebook local guns for sale page and within minutes my friend said i'll take it...i made sure knew all of the issues that i had and he still wanted it for my asking price...i figured i was going to be stuck with it...someone will take it off your hands for the right price...

rashad said:
Ok...now that I have looked at it all night, and sanded and messed with it.. I just feel... robbed. I have spent way too much on ammo and wasted so much time on a gun that never worked correctly, even 10 shots in a row. This is simply unacceptable... In a world where walmart returns items that arent even bought in their store to make people happy.. we have allowed firearms to be one of the most expensive, unreturnable, and "customer is always wrong" items out there.

I am going back to the gun shop and seeing what my options are. If I explain to them that their $50 or $100 profit (probably not even that much) on this gun could be so much more if they will simply return this one for even store credit for goodness sake... I would gladly buy something else. Not to mention my 1000 facebook friends and countless local friends who I would gladly refer to them. Word of mouth travels fast...especially negative. So for their sake I hope they make good. If I bought a new Toyota and it was a lemon, I would certainly expect the dealer to make right... not have to send it back to Toyota! lol.

Your right...a car would not go back to the manufacturer. Dealerships all have trained technicians (some better than others) to make the repairs. But not all gun stores have bona fide gunsmiths and the correct equipment. You don't want someone untrained to mess with your gun now do you?

Maybe I was unclear about what I meant... I worked at dealerships for about five years, so I am pretty familiar about the process. But you dont personally call Toyota and send the car back to them on your dime, was my point. You have a local dealer who has people skills (hopefully). No I dont want some wack half-smith working on the gun, I want them to take it back. I bought from them, not Mossberg. They bought from Mossberg... I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is little to no customer service, at least in my area, in the firearms trade. Maybe it is because of demand or lack of competition... but nothing should be sold that is unreturnable, even with manufacturer defects. Hell when I sold cars, we let a punk kid return one after his mommy made him bring it back the next day... legally we didnt have to do anything. He was 22 by the way. :lol:

At any rate, I will go there tomorrow and see what I can do.. I guess if I have to sell it I will. It isnt like there arent people buying guns right now. :shock:

again, the difference here between the two dealers is that one is certified for warranty repair of a product that is exponentially more expensive. the car is also an item that is not something people can be without. often times, dealers will supply the car owner with loaner vehicles while theirs is being repaired. you would not expect to be given a loaner firearm while yours is being repaired. the other difference is when the dealership does warranty repair on a vehicle, the cost for repairs is not coming out of their pocket in the end. it is the manufacturer that is paying for the repair cost.

what you are asking of the shop you bought the gun from is for him to take a loss. this is not his fault. he had no idea that mossberg sent out another broken gun. he did not fire it. why punish him for another broken mossberg 715t. he is not in the business of providing a warranty or warranty service. although he may have some recourse with mossberg that is not known to us. if he does, he may be able to take it back, and give you another possible broken 715t, if he don't, i would not expect too much from him. in that case send it back to mossberg, see if the dealer will do it for you, if not, make mossberg pay for shipping. get it back and sell it...just don't be the guy that sells it as is unless priced according for a broken firearm.

the atf makes returns on firearms slightly inconvenient. not many dealerships will take a vehicle back...but then again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I am comparing apples and oranges, but I defended my original post and tried to reword it for clarity and here we are still arguing about these fruits back and forth instead of agreeing to disagree... so ill do just that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ive never tried CCI stinger but i think those rounds are actually a little longer then regular .22LR

Do you have any other ammo? Is there any way you can put a CCI stinger next to a standard .22LR round and check it?

The first round is CCI Stinger, the last 2 on the right are standard .22LR brass
IMG_5492_zpsef95d99a.jpg

Now i dont know about this gun but most .22LR firearms list in the manual DO NOT USE CCI STINGER

Most .22LR are not chambered for CCI stinger, i also think those are extreme hyper velocity or something. I think they are a really hot load and you could ruin your gun with these. You may want to call mossberg about this because im not forsure.

You know Bower, I actually thought that too. I have some federal that I got 350 for 19.99 just to try and run through it (worked just as good as the cci to be honest, even though its slower fps) and it is shorter. But everything I read said use either them or the minimags for this gun..and the gun shop that sold me the gun also sold me the stingers because "it really likes these." I am going to the shop today and see what they will do. If nothing, then I will sell it.

Ok... well I am very impressed with the gun shop. He swapped mags and ran some rounds through from the back door of the shop. Ran much much better, but still completely unreliable. Also had the bolt locking problem. They ended up refunding my money and sending the gun.back to Mossberg.

I checked out the m&p 15/22 and I am impressed. It is pretty much an ar that shoots .22 ammo. Had a real charging handle and the mag release was heaven after pulling the 715 mag out after every other misfeed... I will definitely be back to this shop, and will be buying either the m&p or a shotgun very soon...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

that's good, i'm glad he could refund your money...if you go with a 15-22...hit me up...i'll put you in contact with a guy that makes an amazing loader for it's mags...he's still in the development phase, but he has given me a beta unit and all i can say is that i wish one of these would work on every mag ever made...

as far as the mag being easier to drop on the smith...it was night and day...i can actually push the button without getting out of my scope/red dot and have the mag come completely out...the release on the 715t was horrendous...but that is not the only thing...everything on it can be done with out leaving your optics...or your grip...bolt locked back...a quick tap on the release with the left and you're hot. safe on, not a problem...easily rotatate to on or off with the thumb of your right hand...mag empty, and wanna do a "tactical" change...trigger finger can easily find the release button and the mag falls right out...

did you get to open it up? it's real easy...push the upper release pin from the left side to the right side...it moves only part way, finish pulling it from the right side, then "fold the gun in half" to get the bolt out, gently pull the charging handle all the way until the bolt comes out...it is no completely field stripped...no tools needed, no springs to lose or fight to get back in...etc...

speedyquad said:
that's good, i'm glad he could refund your money...if you go with a 15-22...hit me up...i'll put you in contact with a guy that makes an amazing loader for it's mags...he's still in the development phase, but he has given me a beta unit and all i can say is that i wish one of these would work on every mag ever made...

as far as the mag being easier to drop on the smith...it was night and day...i can actually push the button without getting out of my scope/red dot and have the mag come completely out...the release on the 715t was horrendous...but that is not the only thing...everything on it can be done with out leaving your optics...or your grip...bolt locked back...a quick tap on the release with the left and you're hot. safe on, not a problem...easily rotatate to on or off with the thumb of your right hand...mag empty, and wanna do a "tactical" change...trigger finger can easily find the release button and the mag falls right out...

did you get to open it up? it's real easy...push the upper release pin from the left side to the right side...it moves only part way, finish pulling it from the right side, then "fold the gun in half" to get the bolt out, gently pull the charging handle all the way until the bolt comes out...it is no completely field stripped...no tools needed, no springs to lose or fight to get back in...etc...

Yes.. this gun is how it should be.. I watched him open it up and I was like "waaaa?" It took me an hour the first time I did it on the 715 because I was scared of losing a screw lol..

It is kind of bittersweet though.. I wanted to like the mossberg.. I thought it was great at first. Its a shame.

My buddy is now telling me I should get a "real" ar instead. I am trying to wrap my head around why you need to target shoot with .223 ammo that costs .80 per round or so. I cant figure out what I want now lol.

rashad said:
My buddy is now telling me I should get a "real" ar instead. I am trying to wrap my head around why you need to target shoot with .223 ammo that costs .80 per round or so. I cant figure out what I want now lol.

that's why i went with the mossy in the first place also...i couldn't see spending 500 on a smith .22...when at the time i could have bought a "real" ar for a few hundred more...but couldn't justify the price of the ammo. if i wanted to spend that kind of money on ammo, i'd just shoot my handguns.

i liked the 715t at first...a friend had one(he had to send it back to mossberg for the same issue), and i got to handle it one day. thought is was a pretty cool little gun so i decided to go with it. live and learn i guess...

i did a review on that loader i had mentioned...it is about the 3rd post from the end in this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=2594&p=113308#p113308

Its strange that so many ppl have such different issues with this gun. Its unfortunate. I musta got one of the good ones. Took it out for the first time today. Worked great. Bolt randomly locked back once but i put 100+ rounds through it so i wouldn't consider that a huge issue. Just off the shelf so wont work perfectly the first time lol

Back