• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nice Little Gun Safe Light

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
I came across this light at the local Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... RRWidgetID

You can also order them online and have them shipped to you if you don't have a local Home Depot.

72a3d9f3-f967-46cd-8145-835ed25d2512_300.jpg

Even though the reviews weren't stellar, I decided to pick one up and give it a try. For $13 it isn't bad! You can either turn on the light manually or utilize the motion sensor. In the motion sensor mode, the light has a high and a low setting. Probably my only gripe about the light is that the first motion it senses turns it on in the bright mode. The second motion switches it to low mode and the third motion turns it back off again. So, you have to be a little careful, once it's activated, to avoid the sensor. That's not too hard as the sensor doesn't pick up a wide range of motion.

The light has a nice, low profile so it doesn't get in the way of removing things from the top shelf of my safe. I tried other lights previously and this was a problem.

The light is battery powered (three AA batteries) and utilizes an LED light which provides a LOT of light for such a small light and should be fairly conservative on power consumption. I tossed in some Sam's Club brand batteries. We'll see how long they last.

Finally, perhaps the best thing of all ... the light comes with a magnet so installation was literally about one second. I just used the magnet to attach the light to the top inside my safe. The magnet isn't super-strong, though, so the fabric at the top of my safe reduces the magnetism enough that bumping the light could knock it loose.

All in all, if you don't already have a light in your gun safe. This is a really cheap and easy way to put one in.

I've been using this light in my safe for a little over a month now. I still like the light overall. You definitely can't beat the price and ease of installation. On its bright setting, this little light provides more than adequate lighting for virtually any size gun safe.

I do have a couple gripes, though.

1. The battery clips seem to like to "spit out" some batteries. This, obviously, will cause the light to stop working. I've found that the Sam's Club house brand batteries seems to fit pretty well, but they're not exactly long-life batteries.

2. The concept of the auto-on function is fantastic. The execution of the function ... not so much. I've gone to manual on/off to save batteries and frustration with the light switching from low/high/off while I'm taking guns out of the safe or putting them back in.

If anyone finds a similar product with a single (bright) light setting and an auto-off function that's set to about a minute with no activity, please post it here! Ideally, this light would turn on to its bright setting and stay there, regardless of motion, until it senses no motion for 60-90 seconds.

Back