• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Night Sights

tritium front sight worth it?

I keep seeing all this stuff on the internet, and of course I'm pretty curious about it. So my question is about the meprolight tritium front sight replacement for the front ghost ring sight. Would a tritium sight be durable on a shotgun?

Re: tritium front sight worth it?

Supposedly, Tritium sights have about a 7 year life.
However, I have a set on what was my carry gun from when I was a Cop, they have lasted about 15 years so far. The Tritium Sight on my 590 is about 7 years old, still going strong.

Thanks for the info, does anyone know if the meprolight tritium sights have a white outline for daylight shooting?

I don't have a pic of the shotgun sight, but here are the Meprolights on my Kimber.

In sunlight they just look like a white dot, but once I step into the shade they start to glow.

I have a Mepro trtium bead on my 590A1 and it has held up very well. It is also a white dot in daylight just like what Lazy pictured above. I also have tritium sights on my 2002 SA 1911 just like what's on Lazy's Kimber. So those are 9 years old and hold up to the slide moving during the actions cycling on a .45 ACP.

I have trijicons and Glock night sights (Meprolight) on my handguns and wouldn't leave home without them. But on my 500 Persuader I chose the truglo optic that does not glow in the dark but picks up ambiant light in most lighted conditions and 'appears' to glow in daylight or medium to low light. My house interior is not completely dark so I didn't feel I needed them on the 500.
But I highly recommend tritium sights for any firearm that might be used in dark or low light situations. They are very bright at night and well worth the money. And as others have said, will last 10 years and usually longer.
Check them out before you buy as the designs, dot sizes, and so on vary and there are color choices too.

One VERY important thing to remember...

If you order the Meprolight bead, or ANY night sights for that matter, be sure to call and find out on what date the item they'll be sending you was made. Depending on where you buy them, some aftermarket sights can sit in warehouse stock for several years before they're sold/shipped. This can mean that their expected life-span could be half over by the time they're in your hands. A lot of the problems people experience with night sights and short life-span can be attributed to this timing issue, not simply defective product.

Very good points from both JSD and Lazy.

bought mine from shooters supply in lou. to find out after i bought them that they are 5 or six years old. thier reply was sorry no refunds when i came back in after finding that they are hardly working in complete darkness. I was told to call Kimber america and know after two weeks no reply and can not get the warranty person for them to come to the phone. Shooters should keep closer tabs on products that have a time life on them. The back of the pack they came in says 12 year life. Was up with that when everyone says 7 years life?

While there is a shelf life, some of the companies offer warranty and replacement.

dog229 said:
bought mine from shooters supply in lou. to find out after i bought them that they are 5 or six years old. thier reply was sorry no refunds when i came back in after finding that they are hardly working in complete darkness. I was told to call Kimber america and know after two weeks no reply and can not get the warranty person for them to come to the phone. Shooters should keep closer tabs on products that have a time life on them. The back of the pack they came in says 12 year life. Was up with that when everyone says 7 years life?

It sucks you're having those issues.

Stay on Kimber and don't let up on the e-mails and phone calls. I had a similar experience with a different manufacturer, but after several weeks of an e-mail and voicemail everyday they got back to me. It was likely only to shut me up, but I still got what I needed from them.

As far as the 12 vs. 7 year life expectancy goes, I'm sure there's a bit of technicality there. I would imagine that the sights may have tested to be technically functional for "up to" 12 years, but their actual peak luminescence averages closer to 7 years. There can be a big disconnect between what the manufacturer deems functional and what we expect out of the product.

meprolight update!!

I finally was sent a replacement front sight for my 590a1 from Kimber America. I asked by talking to a customer service how do i know the life of this replacement and their answer was they do not know. The product is not marked in telling this. Their answer is that i could talk to the Meprolight person if i wanted to but to only follow the warranty instruction with the product which will only show when you bought it and also keep your reciet or warranty will not be honored by the company.
My reply is p--- poor way of selling a good product and knowing it has a time life on it before it fails is not right. I did notice that the replacement did come in a new color print on the package. My old one had a owl on the front (real old) and the NEW??? one has a pistol with sights installed on it.
Bad thing is the store i bought it at will not correct the problem by pulling them from the shelf and try to deal with kimber.
BEWARE OF THE OWL!!!!!!!

Re: meprolight update!!

"BEWARE OF THE OWL!!!!!!!"

You got it, Thanks for the update!

Have any questions about Night Sights? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I have Night Sights on a Glock.....they have limited use really.

If you are in darkness it is reassuring to see the dots...but if you aim at a Bright area, they go black.
If you fire a shot, the flash is going to make your sights invisible.

I've seen FiberOptic sights with Tritium rings around the rods.
That would cover a few bases.

My EDC Kimber Ultra CDP has night sights as well.

The Meprolight front and rear sights are incredibly bright. It's not my nightstand gun, but the night sights sure help speed up sight acquisition at the range.

I have ran night sights for as long as I have owned defensive guns. On my Glocks I used the AroTek sights with a Green front and Orange rear, my personal favorite combo. I never had a single problem with the AroTeks and highly recommend them.
I just had Siglites installed on 2 of my Sig P250s and will do the 3rd when I return home.
My 930 SPX has the LPA night sights, front and rear. Love them.
I am alot more comfortable with the night sights than without them. My weapons also wear Streamlight and Surefire lights. The night sights are a back up to them.
Besides, zombies are most active at night. Gotta be prepared! :)
I have an older (1960's?) S&W Model 67-1 I would like to put a night front sight on. Anyone have any suggestions? I believe it has the fixed ramp, not pinned.

tcecil88 said:
I have an older (1960's?) S&W Model 67-1 I would like to put a night front sight on. Anyone have any suggestions? I believe it has the fixed ramp, not pinned.

That's gonna require some skilled carving by an experienced gunsmith. Probably cut off the fixed blade and dovetail the ramped sight base, or slot the base for a pinned front sight blade.

Nice revolver, BTW.

Thanks. It was my Uncle's from when he was on the Sherrif's Dept. I inherited it when he passed. I have the original wood grip it came with. I changed it out for the Hogue because it fit my hand better. I even have his duty holster for it. Don Hume I think.
SWModel67-138Special.jpg

Sorry the pic is fuzzy. I took it with an old camera.
I thought about seeing if it could be converted to .357. Probably not cost effective though.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Have any questions about Night Sights? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

My Springfield XD 40 as well as my Taurus PT1911 both have trijicon night sights on them. Secondly, I have been seriously thinking about getting the meprolight front ghost ring tritium insert.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Back