• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

nikon P223 opinions

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
im thinking of getting the 3-9x40 with BDC 600 to top my AR for varmint and predator control, and recreational target shooting. curious if anyone has shot it with other/heavier loads than the recommended 55grn polymer tip. hunting would be 300 yards and less. target shooting 4-500 maybe. not lookin to hold sub moa groups at that range, but be able to hit a coyote or wild dog is the goal. i chose this optic due to its simple reticle, power range, and price point. if anyone has any opinions or would like to recommend something similar in the sub $200 price range it would be appreciated.

Wait for my review this weekend. I'm set to go out tomorrow and log in results in various factory loads out of my MVP which is rocking the P223 and seeing how the Nikon Spot on program works at 50/100 yards.

And because you're inquiring I'll make time tomorrow to log in how the BDC works at 200 yards with the Spot on program as well.

Last edited:
Primary Arms is having a sale. 20% off Nikon optics. Got one ordered. Will post reviews as soon as possible

im thinking of getting the 3-9x40 with BDC 600 to top my AR for varmint and predator control, and recreational target shooting. curious if anyone has shot it with other/heavier loads than the recommended 55grn polymer tip. hunting would be 300 yards and less. target shooting 4-500 maybe. not lookin to hold sub moa groups at that range, but be able to hit a coyote or wild dog is the goal. i chose this optic due to its simple reticle, power range, and price point. if anyone has any opinions or would like to recommend something similar in the sub $200 price range it would be appreciated.
I have a P-223 3x9x40 on a MMR hunter, I really don't have any complaints about the scope I really like it!
I haven't ever used the BDC on it, just the elevation using the spot on app out to 300 yards. The app had me shooting a couple of inches high at 300 yards but it was close.
I have a Nikon 22Lr 3x9x40 150BDC on a savage 22 rifle and I have used the BDC on it, taking squirrels out to about 70 yards.

Very nice. Mine does pretty well on my carbine. Really want to mount it on a dedicated SPR now though. I'm thinking 24 inch Wilson barrel to start with.

If I had came across an MMR Hunter locally I would have bought it for my pops for Christmas this year. After shooting my AR he seemed pretty interested in the platform. And he does far more hunting than I do.

I have a P-223 3x9x40 on a MMR hunter, I really don't have any complaints about the scope I really like it!
I haven't ever used the BDC on it, just the elevation using the spot on app out to 300 yards. The app had me shooting a couple of inches high at 300 yards but it was close.
I have a Nikon 22Lr 3x9x40 150BDC on a savage 22 rifle and I have used the BDC on it, taking squirrels out to about 70 yards.

I've learned to trust the BDC on the P223. I have a 4" gong I nail consistently (practically dead center most of the time) using the BDC at 200 yards. This coming summer I'm going to extend it out to 300 yards against a 10" square plate.

15563294986_33c53f37ef_c.jpg

Back