• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NM: Governor to sheriffs - Enforce gun law or resign

Scoop

.30-06
New Mexico governor to sheriffs: Enforce gun law or resign

Link >

ANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham signed a red-flag gun bill Tuesday that will allow state district courts to order the temporary surrender of firearms, and she urged sheriffs to resign if they still refuse to enforce it.

Flanked by advocates for stricter gun control and supportive law enforcement officials at a signing ceremony, Lujan Grisham said the legislation provides law enforcement authorities with an urgently needed tool to deter deadly violence by temporarily removing firearms from people who pose a threat to themselves or others.

Some sheriffs from mostly rural areas opposed the bill in committee hearings as a violation of constitutional guarantees to due process, free speech and the right to bear arms. Public rallies were held for and against the legislation.

Lujan Grisham said sheriffs should have the opportunity to oppose any proposed policy change, but “they cannot not enforce."

“If they really intend to do that, they should resign as a law enforcement officer and leader in that community,” she said.

New Mexico Sheriffs' Association President Tony Mace of Cibola County said the new law goes too far by potentially impounding guns before any crime is committed and that he and other sheriffs will assert their discretion over its enforcement.

“We don't work for the governor, we don't work for the Legislature,” he said. “We work for the people that elected us into office.”

New Mexico lawmakers last year expanded background check requirements to most private gun sales and banned firearms possession for people under permanent protective orders for domestic violence.

Highlighting discontent in rural communities, elected commissioners declared Roosevelt County a “sanctuary” for Second Amendment guarantees on Tuesday, recognizing the right of the local sheriff “not to enforce any unconstitutional firearms law against any citizens.” The county of roughly 20,000 residents adjacent to Texas is the latest of at least a dozen New Mexico counties to embrace the sanctuary label.

This year's red-flag legislation allows police and sheriffs' deputies to petition a court for the surrender of household firearms within 48 hours from people who appear to pose a danger to themselves or others.

Petitions can be based on sworn affidavits filed by relatives, employers or school administrators, and authorities can be held liable for officers who fail to enforce the law.

The gun-control advocacy group Moms Demand Action is planning a yearslong campaign to publicize the law and outline how people can petition law enforcement for extreme risk protection orders, said Emelie De Angelis, a state chapter leader.

She said her group is emphasizing that district attorneys can seek red-flag orders from judges in areas where sheriffs may show reluctance.

“We were really adamant that particularly with our sheriffs' situation — a lot of them saying that they don't want to enforce this — that the DAs had to stay in” the law, she said.

Lujan Grisham outlined her motivation for signing the red-flag law by invoking the 2019 mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, and the 2018 mass shooting that killed 17 students at a Florida high school.

Red-flag laws gained momentum after it was learned that the young man accused in the Florida attack was widely known to be mentally troubled yet had access to weapons.

“Now this state is responding," Lujan Grisham said. “We're looking at the opportunity to do as much as we can for threats that could create mass violence.”

A red-flag order would set off a 10-day deadline for a court hearing on whether the initial order to surrender firearms is extended for a year. A flagged gun owner can request an extension of up to 30 days for the hearing.

Failure to relinquish firearms as ordered is a misdemeanor that can lead authorities to remove weapons. The law takes effect on May 20.

Again, another gun grab tactic by the left. They sensationalize these shootings and cover up the fact that is was a break down in the process that allowed the shootings to happen.

Now, when it comes to illegal aliens and sanctuary cities they have no problem defying the federal government and laws on the books . They have no problem harboring people that have already broken the law. The left have no problem trampling the constitution as long as it benefits their quest for complete control of the people. It's these very actions that are the reason for the second amendment.

They passed this in California but I haven't heard of any big problems with it yet.
Which doesn't mean there haven't been.
But the truth is there are so many illegals here that should be in jail already, I don't much fear those folks losing their guns and being deported.
I do see them getting arrested with clockwork regularity.

So now, if your neighbor is illegal, and has a gun, they can take the gun on your complaint, and then give him to ICE.
75% of the gun problems here are little gangsters and drug runners.

Are the sheriffs not elected officials in New Mexico, or are they somehow different from the rest of the country?

To put it another way, unconstitutional laws are illegal. The Police would actually be breaking the law of the land if they did knowingly violate a citizens rights.

Are the sheriffs not elected officials in New Mexico, or are they somehow different from the rest of the country?

“We don't work for the governor, we don't work for the Legislature,” he said. “We work for the people that elected us into office.”

--New Mexico Sheriffs' Association President Tony Mace of Cibola County

The problems are complicated at best. Sheriffs have been elected everywhere I have ever lived, but until recently we did not have the left openly working to undermine the constitution as we have now.

We also have more college professors and public schools teaching our kids the liberal agenda. So now we have a lot of young people that think this country is evil, even illegitimate and must be overthrown. They have no clue that these same people are just using them for their (left) own means to achieve their end result.

When you have so many parents willing to turn over the upbringing of children to the government this is what you get. In my opinion you can't be for tearing down the borders and still claim to love the country. The globalists have been pushing this notion worldwide for years and it is starting to come to fruition in many parts of the world.

Last night I was watching some youtube videos of conservatives trying to give speeches on college campuses. Their were two mindsets among the students attending. The conservative kids believed in free speech, while the liberals believed everything the speaker said was hate speech because he did not say what THEY wanted to hear. The liberals that were most likely to be confrontational were the young females.

Also, last evening on the news I saw videos of Bernie supporters harassing other Democratic voters by showing up in front of their house at night with bullhorns and yelling at them because they don't support Bernie. Seems like intimidation to me. I have a right to protect my property, and a right to privacy, and a right to a peaceful existence. I know I can't run out into the street and threaten them with a gun, but I could get my chainsaw and trim that tree in my front yard that I have been neglecting for months now.

Oooops, I have gotten off on a tangent.

Anyways, that's enough of the rant for now.

Sadly I have to agree with you meanstreak because I have been noticing a lot of the same things you have.

John, I went to every school board meeting I could when my kids were growing up. The oldest is 44, the youngest is 37, and between them I went of 20 odd years. I was seeing the liberal creep back in the 70s, before my first was even in school, to a certain degree, then in the 80s it really took off.

In my mind school board elections are the most important vote I have.

My ire is drawn when "they" decide that your speech is hate-speech, and thus they are justified in physical abuse of a speaker.

This is the logic of an idiot, and unfortunately about half the modern world believes in it.

The idea that I can provoke someone to violence because they don't like a political slogan on my hat, and their violence is justified? .....well they need to see a good shrink.

Hate speech has become anything the liberals don't agree with. They are being taught that violence is a means to right what they see as injustice, or more correctly, what does not fit their agenda.

I find it ironic that I can find out more about what is really going on, especially on college campuses, by watching amateur video on you tube than I can gather from the mainstream media.

The news media isn't journalism anymore meanstreak. It's nothing more than a revenue machine.

You got enough money to grease their palms with, the "news" is whatever you say it is.

Business models used to be : location, location, location.

Now, it's nothing more than: ratings, ratings, ratings.

They have whored themselves out to the highest bidders.

Sorry for the blunt honesty. I know of no other way to explain what I see going on.

You are 100% correct is that the media is in the business of selling.

Just like the New York Times sells a classified ad to make money, every form of media which exists (perhaps outside of charitable events) consists of attempts to make money.

Anyhow this is why Bernie Sanders can never win. If the media supports Bernie and he wins and nationalizes the media who gets the profits?

New lake house for Bernie!

Back