• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noob needs some purchase advice

Wackostu

Hello all and thanks in advance for your wisdom. I am finally at a point in life (at 43) where I am going to start hunting with my best friend. Turkey and goose to start and maybe deer in the future. In all the research I have narrowed it down to. 500 and a rem 870 , leaning to the 500. My local store I know for sure have a standard 500 and 50th anniversary edition. This will be my first firearm. Any ad use on what I need to look for, try and ask about when I go in tomorrow? Is there a 500 model that is already camo'd? I need to stay below 375 walking out with gun, ammo, case and lock. Am I on the right path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Noob needs some purchase advice

Welcome to the forum!

I think the best thing to compare the Remington -vs- Mossberg question to is Boxers-vs-Briefs. It's all about personal preference combined with what you are introduced to at the beginning. The only input I'll give on the matter is that my personal experience says that the Remmy 870's of today are definitely not your father or grandfathers guns. They got comfy at the top and their build quality and quality control seem to have slipped the past few years. Mossberg builds a quality bit of gear....you won't be disappointed with anything from their catalogue.

Now onto my second suggestion. You say you intend to use the shotgun for turkey and goose at first, with deer a possibility in the future. With goose being on your priority list I would suggest either the 535 or the 835 over the 500, as both of those models are capable of chambering the 3 1/2" shells to give you the extra bit of knockdown power and reach for the big honkers. Take a camo covered 535 goose gun and swap the choke (or entire barrel, your call) and you have a very capable turkey slayer. Here's a link to a 535 from the online dealer I've had the best experiences with....http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._id/43856/Mossberg+535WF+12g+3.5"+28"ACCU+MDB

The 3 1/2" loads aren't a must-have for geese but they definitely make things easier when the birds aren't cooperating and more lead in the tube doesn't hurt with gobblers either. When you decide it's time to try deer hunting you could either buy a dedicated rifled slug barrel for max accuracy or go with the factory barrel and sabots with the 535.
In the end it all comes down to what fits you best, both on the shoulder and in the wallet......but having grown up around guys whose entire year revolved around goose season here in the Mississippi flyway I'm just trying to save you from having to buy a 3 1/2" gun after you get hooked on geese........

Welcome to the forum! Good first question.

Tim offered excellent advice, and I'd take heed of some of his wisdom.

An 835 in camo would rock. I think you could get one used at a price you can live with along with ammo (hunting ammo is fairly high).

Thank you both. I will look into what you suggested!

Welcome to MO! I think Tim made some good points and used 835s are relatively inexpensive even in camo.

A new one will include a lock though. Also, with the 835, you may not be able to shoot slugs meaning another barrel down the road.

The 500 you're lookin at may be a good choice as you can chamber 3" shells as well as slugs.

I couldnt tell ya the 870 Express isn't a good gun, I've fired a few, just that i prefer the ergonomics of OFM. True they areny like the older Wingmasters though.

Just remember if you choose to go with an 835 you HAVE to get a dedicated slug barrel when you take up deer hunting. The 835 uses an overbored barrel that basically opens up to a 10ga barrel through the tube and then squeezes back down to 12ga size right before the choke. A slug fired through a regular 835 barrel has the potential to wobble in the overbore, giving poor accuracy at best and jamming inside the barrel causing HUGE problems at worst. The 535 doesn't use an overbored barrel, it's the same tube profile as the 500 so you could get away with firing slugs through a standard 535 barrel.

Thanks everyone for your input. Just back from the gun shop and ended up (after a discussion with the clerk) with the Mossy 500 50th anniversary edition. In my price range plus will be versatile for what I will be hunting. Plus it was on sale so I was able to walk out with firearm, 2 boxes of shells and a case for less then 285. Can't wait to blow through the shells at the range. I did the easy part, now I need to learn as much as I can to be safe and successful and to enjoy this new phase on my life. Looking forward to the journey!

Congrats on a fine firearm and an OUTSTANDING price!

Congrats on the purchase. The 500 will get the job done for you, give it a thorough cleaning and inspection and take it out and enjoy! You definitely got a good deal price-wise. Does it have the gold trigger on it? Seem to recall that on the 50th models....

I am absolutely bias... 500 all the way!! :D haha
My shotgun has performed flawlessly and is awesome :)

As for ammunition for Turkey.. that is for someone else to answer haha I am a slug guy

Did you have to change the barrel to run a slug?

Congrats on a fine purchase!
If you are going to hunt Geese or anything else that flies, do yourself a favor and go break A LOT OF CLAYS!
Hitting flying targets are not as easy as it looks on those TV hunting shows. Get lots of practice on clays and you will enjoy your hunts much more when you actually bring food home.

No, I have a smooth bore barrel and shoot the Brenneke/Foster style "rifled" slugs

i just purchased 2 mossberg 500s and they are great. i shot them right out of the box.

i can shoot rifled slugs out of my smooth bore barrel.

the sabot slugs are made for rifles barrels. you dont want them in a smoothbore

i perfer smoothbore because i can shoot buckshot or slugs or birdshot.

a choke is a big improvment if you want to control your spread

Toys-N-Joys said:
i just purchased 2 mossberg 500s and they are great. i shot them right out of the box.
Never shoot any gun out of the box.
Always clean them first!

LTB45 said:
Toys-N-Joys said:
Always clean them first!

+1 (And I'm not one for cleaning)

LTB45 said:
Toys-N-Joys said:
Always clean them first!

why?

do they come dirty or do they need lube? or something else? please lmk

Back