• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NORDIC PLUS 3 EXT/SPRING & FOLLOWER UPDATE

DEAN BUFFINGTON

Supporter
Been waiting for a week to receive my 2 3/4 JM dummy 12 ga shells to test my Nordic 3. First things first though. Your asking yourself well why not just use live rounds. Your just going to test it & cut the spring if need be. But safety is a hugh factor so I waited. ( Besides the wife told me to wait until the dummy rounds got here. Because she felt anything could happen. Like a hole in the wall or worse yet a blown up tv. ) They showed up today ( Thank God ) & I was able to start to work. I bought the Nordic 3 & Nordic spring & Nordic follower. The spring is way stiffer than the orig 930 spring & the Nordic follower is about one inch longer than the orig 930 follower & the plus 3 ext sticks out about one inch or so past the barrel. Before I bought the parts I called Nordic & spoke to a service tech & I think his name was MR. JOE. He was so confident in these parts working together to eliminate any feed problembs that I might have he said that if I was unsatisfied in any way with my purchase he would refund all my money including the shipping. Sounded good to me. He recommended to cut the spring with 16 inches past the ext tube to start with. I started with that & seven shells was all she would get. I remembered what ( PAW-PAW said ) once you cut it to short you can't bring it back so go slow a little at a time. Well it took several more cuts but I ended up with 10 inches exactly past the magazine extention. Bent the ends over & filed them really good. Cycled it several times to check it out & all was fine. The eighth shell when loaded & pushed on had about one half inch & then it got tight up against the rest. So that felt good to me. I did notice that the orig ext had shavings in it. I took a clean towel & popped it on the bottom & it was full of shavings. A good clean up is next & I have some OR3GUN parts coming for it also. This is my first shotgun so i'am a little nervous about everything I do & I thank everyone for your help. Would of hated to fix a hole in the wall or to get a new tv. So I thank you again & my wife thanks you. This forum is a fantastic source of wealth for the New or even the Pro shooter.

Last edited:
I'm glad it's working well for you so far.

Since this is your first shotgun, you're probably not aware of the fact that all 2-3/4" shells are not the same length. That 2-3/4" measurement refers to the FIRED hull. Loaded and crimped rounds vary in length not only between brands, but sometimes between different product lines from the same manufacturer. They will all measure less than 2-3/4". Your dummy rounds will be shorter than that too.

I'm a big fan of Federal #1 FliteControl buckshot. Those rounds are on the longer end of the spectum. As a result, I had to not only get the Nordic extension, but also a XXL endcap before I could fit 7 rounds in the tube. This was with the older style Nordic extension that is no longer produced..

I thought about that & I found a cap extention from Shooters Source nice looking caps . Will call them tomorrow to verify the length but it looks to be about two inches or less. Just measured the Dummies against A federal load & they are both 2 1/4 but the live federal load is just a fraction higher so their goes my 1/2 inch play when loaded with eight. You spoiled that I thought I had it. I'll look at the cap tomorrow. Thanks

You were right I just loaded the live federal 12ga 2 3/4 shells & 8 does not fit. By just about 1/16 th of and inch. Now I know I need the extention. Still Learning

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess with it. The gun is rated at 7+1 and that's where you are. Put on a sidesaddle (or buttstock sleeve like I did) that holds 7 rounds. With mine loaded 7+1 and 7 onthe buttstock, it has a geat balance and handles fast.

Last edited:
I'd throw caution to the wind if I was only 1/16" short to carrying another round.

I'd shave that off of the follower or something to make up the difference.

Not all of my exploits have happy endings. But that's what I'd do

By the power of GREYSKULL.

by-the-power-of-greyskull-gif-9.gif

Not exactly sure why Nordic says it is a plus 3 when it is only 1 1/2 inches longer than the stock extention. It holds 7 great & plenty of room left. When you push on the seventh shell after it is loaded you have about 1 1/2 inches left & the spring is still very strong. Load one & it will push it out with force. Remembering that it is exactly 10 inches out the top of the Nordic plus 3 extention. I need to try the orig Mossburg spring & see if their is a difference. Also the Nordic follower is about 1 1/4 inches long & i'am sure it may make a difference also. I like the Nordic setup ( quality parts ) & feel it is a good combination but seven is maybe all i'am going to get.. I did buy the Extention cap from Shooters Source today for $24.95 & will see how it looks & if it will hold 8 & do right I might go with it.

I doubt shortening the follower will gain you anything. Remember, when that spring is compressed it has to go somewhere.

Back