• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old 88 with single action bar

au01st

Picked up a beat up 88 at a garage sale for $10!!! The good, it has the bolt, trigger, and all internal parts. The bad, it's missing the forend and action slide. By studying the receiver I noticed it is the model with the single action bar. Is there anywhere to buy this action slide? Or could I get one from a 500 and cut off one side and be ok?

This came with a vent ribbed barrel, but the plan for this is to take a spare 30" round barrel I have and cut it down to 18.5". Then, cerakoting zombie green on the barrel, magazine tube, and receiver, with a Hogue pistol grip.

The rescue

Action bar hole, and you can see the WD-40 as I try to loosen up the magazine tube

No action bar hole

Attachments

• Maverick.jpg
    Maverick.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Maverick2.jpg
    Maverick2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Maverick3.jpg
    Maverick3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 82
au01st said:
Picked up a beat up 88 at a garage sale for $10!!! The good, it has the bolt, trigger, and all internal parts. The bad, it's missing the forend and action slide. By studying the receiver I noticed it is the model with the single action bar. Is there anywhere to buy this action slide? Or could I get one from a 500 and cut off one side and be ok?

This came with a vent ribbed barrel, but the plan for this is to take a spare 30" round barrel I have and cut it down to 18.5". Then, cerakoting zombie green on the barrel, magazine tube, and receiver, with a Hogue pistol grip.

Nice find for $10. I'm not sure if you can use a double arm. I would give Havlin a call. (636) 937-6401

Put some heat on the mag tube to get it out. ;)

Keep us posted on your project.

Yeah, I figured the bolt and stock were worth the $10 as back-ups to my other Mavericks.

The place for cerakoting is 2 states away near my parent's house. I figure after I get the gun the way I like, I can tear it down and give the parts to my dad to bring to the shop. I will see my parents several times this year so I shouldn't have to wait long. And it gives my dad something "gunny" to do without spending money and getting the evil eye from my mom.

Just noticed the older 500's receivers had the open slot for the second slide arm. Surprised the Mav 88 is different.

So it looks like I'm going to owe my brother a beer. Going thru a spare parts bin at a gun store back home he found an action slide with a single action bar! Next time I visit I can pick up that and the barrel.

I managed to get the magazine tube off with some PB Blaster and a wrench. The receiver is stripped down with all parts removed and cleaned as best I could. I'm assuming they'll hit it with some media blasting before they cerakote.

And I found a certified cerakote applier near my home so I won't have to leave everything with my dad.

Big question now is the scope of the coating. Do I have the forend and stock done as well, or do I leave them black? Pistol grip vs Speed Feed vs regular? Plain round barrel end or some kind of muzzle brake? Can brakes be permanently attached on the 500 to keep the length at 18.5"?

Some pictures of the paint scheme I'm thinking from cerakote's website; oh yes, there will be blood!

Attachments

• db_file_img_6031_autox300.jpg
    db_file_img_6031_autox300.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 43
  • db_file_img_5578_autox300.jpg
    db_file_img_5578_autox300.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 43
  • JBSSV1Z.jpg
    JBSSV1Z.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 42
That's a great price for the old gun.

And replacing the parts shouldn't be too big of a deal.

If Havlin doesn't have what you need, perhaps you can find one at numrich gun parts.

Thanks John. I think I have all the parts required. He also picked up a bolt, carrier, and trigger group. Total cost for those parts + the tube, $25. Now I'm $35 into the gun.

I think I'm going to go with the Magpul forend and stock so I can mount a light on the front. I just picked up a few Surefire M951 lights, new in the box, and would like to have the option to mount one on the forend. Also going to throw one on an AR and give one to my dad.

Going to get a quote on having the barrel cut and cerakoting next week sometime.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to cut down the round tube to 18" or the vent rib to 18". I've got a spare one of each. Any upside/downside to either option?

Back