• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old powder

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
hey reloaders, I have a good load of old powder that I am sure is still good

My question is has the powder changed over the years as reguarding data changes.

I read somewhere that the IMR 4895 did change and one shouldn't load old 4895 to todays data specs

Looking for some insight on this and these powders from you guys that have been doing this for a while

Thanks

I've been loading up some old canisters of red, blue, and green dot using today's specs and haven't really seen much difference. These cans are prolly from the 80's. I'd say as long as you don't load max loads you'd be fine. Just my .02¢

If IMR deliberately changed their 4895 even slightly I would be stunned, since so many M1 Garand shooters rely on that powder like a religion. Same with Camp Perry rifle competitors and their pet loads using IMR4895..

Now Unique and 2400 and a few others might have been tweaked ever so slightly over the years but I think barely enough to matter.

My opinion is that if load data changed it was because better technology allowed more precise measurements of pressures monitored during testing, instead of discovering that the powder changed.

Or I could just be completely wrong..... <grin>

Back