• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Older Mossberg 500 with rifle sights....

Corrigan

Copper BB
I'd kinda, sort, maybe like to put a heat shield on this but does anyone know if it will fit over the rear site? Also, I'd like to put a bead site on the front, how can I remove the ramped front site? Would I need to get a new barrel? TIA for any help!

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question(s)...

Without removing the rear sight makes installing a bead front sight a no-win proposition. The elevation would be completely wrong. A replacement barrel would work well.

Why do you want a heat shield in the first place, if I might ask?

Hi Nitesite, thanks for the reply. The heat shield? Simple aesthetics. I know I don't need one and I was kinda, sorta thinking about it. It's an old ex-police gun and that's why it has the rifle sights. I'm just not used to rifle sights on a shotgun which is why I was thinking about removing them and putting on a bead. BUT...from your reply it seems that I'd be trying to make this 500 do something it was not designed to do. I guess I'll learn to use it "as is" and keep my eyes out for a decent used barrel. Thanks for the welcome & thanks for the reply!

Back