• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

on the plus side

Thanks, Mike, for the link (which I did read).

I hope the state doesn't employ some crappy stalling and delaying tactics. But I bet they'll try.

Yes, they will probably do all they can to stall it. I know in the Heller vs DC case, DC pretty much ignored the SCOTUS ruling until publicity finally forced them to open up.

Maryland had a similar ruling on concealed carry and I believe they are continuing to fight it in the courts.

Thanks for mentioning the link. I include them in case someone wants to read more but have wondered how many do?

Love this paragraph from the ruling and especially the sentence at the end!

“The Second Amendment,” Judge Posner writes, “states in its entirety that ‘a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.’ The right to ‘bear’ as distinct from the right to ‘keep’ arms is unlikely to refer to the home. To speak of ‘bearing’ arms within one’s home would at all times have been an awkward usage. A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home."

Being a resident of the Peoples Republic of Illinois I can't tell you how happy I am about this ruling. For years the Law Abiding citizens of this State have been denied this Right because of the bully tactics used by Chicago politicians.......This entire State is essentially ran by the overly crooked politicians from one county. There have been a few lawsuits in recent years that have came out favorably for the gun rights activists and this one is a huge one. While an appeal is possible I think the Appelate Courts ruling was based on enough factual evidence (or lack thereof) that continuing to deny Illinois Residents the right to legally carry a defensive firearm has had NO positive effects on the amount of violent crimes, while States which have a CCW program are able to clearly show a decrease.

Now I'm just hoping Representative Phelps squeezes my suggestion for open carry into the new Bill they will be writing.....

This is good news as Illinois is one of only two states not allowing concealed carry!

Thanks for the link, I like them as it also allows others to back check the material on their own!

I had heard the appeal will be forth coming to try and stop the ruling from goin through.

Last time I checked Illinois was the ONLY state out of the 50 with no CCW provision.....Wisconsin passed theirs last year.

The State AG for Illinois is looking into an appeal, but I think she'll have a hard time finding grounds for an appeal with this decision being based on verifiable statistics. The Appelate Court was pretty clear in its ruling......Any appeal would have to be based on the Intent and Definition of the Second Ammendment and SCOTUS had no problem throwing out Chicagos rediculous handgun ban last year. The difference between throwing out the Chicago law and this one is that the higher court gave the politicians a 180 day deadline to make this one happen.

I believe you are correct Tim4k5. The Maryland lawsuit was from a guy that had a concealed permit but was denied one when he needed to reapply for it. Maryland denied him saying he had not shown a reason for needing it. Maryland is a may issue state. The judge correctly ruled that a law abiding citizen does not need to explain to the state why they want to exercise a right. Maryland took it up a level and is fighting being forced to become a shall issue state.

Good call Tim and thanks for getting me to look into that closer.

Not a problem Mike, I've been in contact with my local Representatives about this for years. I've had several long conversations with Representative Phelps about concealed carry, since he is from my neck of the woods. Illinois has some fairly vague and screwed up gun laws, several of them are actually taken straight from the Illinois Wildlife Codes. To give some of you from the other states an idea of how backwards Illinois is......If I were found to be carrying an auto-opening knife (switchblade...ooooooo scary) I would be facing an unlawful use of weapon charge and prison time. For a long time the only way to legally transport a firearm and ammo in Il the weapon had to be inside a locked case and the ammunition had to be in a seperate case.....both cases had to be inaccessible to the driver. Last year the Illinois Supreme Court ruled in People -v- Diggins that the center console of a vehicle counted as a "case" and that nowhere in the law did it clearly state that the case had to be locked and gun/ammo in seperate cases. So that made it legal to keep an unloaded pistol in your center console with the magazine next to it. That ruling wasn't much, but it was a HUGE step for us here......it had us that much closer to being able to defend ourselves and our loved ones from a criminal threat.

My favorite line from the originally quoted story is this one from Rep. Phelps....

"I said on the floor, 'A lot of people who voted against this, one of these days you're going to wish you did, because of all the limitations and the safety precautions we put in this bill, because one of these days the court's going to rule and you're not going to like the ruling," he said. "Today's the day."

Phelps' last CCW bill was carefully written with several concessions made in regards to training/qualificaion, where you could carry, cost, etc to try and get support from the borderline anti-gun votes he needed to pass it. The bill was only narrowly defeated. I think if the Political Block from up North try to bog this down with a SCOTUS appeal they are going to be turned away and will end up being forced to sign a CCW bill with absolutely no concessions in it to keep the gun-control crowd happy. Basically no more playing Mr. Nice Guy trying to get the anti-guns to sign SOMETHING resembling a CCW bill.....if they drag it out they will probably have no choice but to sign the most open CCW bill in the country.

Back