• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

One less armadillo

If my old memory serves me right,,,,,there's an old thread around here on cooking them critters.o_O

Possibly. Your call. But what do you do when the laser craps out? :)

...I go back to my "old friend" of iron sights...
;) :D

Iron sights are my kids' friends, too, because that is what they learned on. But they also know how to use a scope and red dot. And they know how to "call" their shots and adjust for sight/scope misalignment.

I'm just razzing you about the laser! ;) The only gun I have with a laser is my G30. It is a $15.00 special that clamps to the rail underneath. Turns on and off with a little button on the back end using the index finger of the support hand. It is more for intimidation than anything. I have it "sighted in" for 20' or so... ;) Turn it off and the nightsights do the rest... :p

Leprosy, have not heard about leprosy in a long time. Good enough reason to me to plug me.

Non here in MI. They are armored but not insulated.

Well the area they are expected to reach in PA includes where I live. Lots of sheds and such to live under although they may have to fight the ground hogs and skunks for the best spots. I wonder when the feral hogs will get up here?

Not looking forward to the hogs getting here...as they can be really destructive.

But if they do show... Mmmmmmmm...BACON !!!

Not looking forward to the hogs getting here...as they can be really destructive.

But if they do show... Mmmmmmmm...BACON !!!

If they ain't there yet, they will be soon, except maybe AK. The following from Texas A&M FAQs page as of 2013: http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/frequently-asked-questions-wild-pigs/ . Other links are provided on that page also.

49. Do all states have wild pigs?

We have recently classified the states with wild pigs into various categories for management planning purposes. Fourteen states currently do not have wild pigs: AK, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, MN, MT, ND, RI, SD, VT, WA, and WY. Eight states have small isolated populations: CO, ID, IA, NE, NV, NH, NJ and UT. Four states have established but stable populations: IN, KS, WV and IL. Thirteen states have established and increasing populations: AZ, KY, MI, MS, MO, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, VA and WI. Eleven states have large well-established and growing populations: AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, HI, LA, OK, SC, TN and TX.

We supposedly have some escaped hogs breading here in MI. I've yet to see one and I'de be more than willing to help in their population control. Per the DNR they can be shot with any hunting lic or CPL

From the Pennsylvania State Game Commission Website:

Feral Swine
Feral swine are not native to Pennsylvania and present many problems to wildlife and people. They can cause tremendous damage to habitat and property, and pose an ever-present threat to wildlife and the biosecurity of the state's multi-million-dollar pork industry. Pennsylvania would be a better place without these swine, and the Game Commission is committed to their eradication.

To learn more about these unwanted intruders, please follow these links:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/hunting/11348

We supposedly have some escaped hogs breading here in MI. I've yet to see one and I'de be more than willing to help in their population control. Per the DNR they can be shot with any hunting lic or CPL

Most states have a feral hog program either thru their Wildlife departments or thru a University. Some are better funded than others, but everyone is way behind the curve in even getting decent estimates of populations and distribution, let alone any effective control of them. If you talk to local farmers, and the rank and file in the wildlife business, they'll tell you it's a serious problem and getting worse every year. But except in a few of the southern states, it just isn't on anybody's radar. And there are the PETA types who raise hell about killing them, and often prevent a state from declaring them nuisance animals that can be killed anytime without a hunting license even on public/state property. And since hunting them requires some significant firepower, certain states and anti gun organizations object on that basis.

They often run in packs of a half dozen or more, so it's not a good idea to hunt them by yourself, unless your in a stand or a helicopter. ;)

Last edited:
Back