• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

P80 Glock issues, or me.

Hey guys. While I waited for my GlockTalk account to be approved, I figured I might as well throw a post out here as well.

So, I am new to handguns, and for my first one, I decided I'd do a project and build one! So, I have what is basically a G17, built on a Polymer80 80% receiver. I completed it with Lonewolf upper and lower kits, a G17 threaded 9mm barrel, and a Brownells stripped Glock slide.

As far as the building process, I think everything went pretty well. Milled out what was required; a few rough edges might have been left, but I think those were worked out after my first few test shots (the slide stuck back for the first few shots, after which it began to function normally). There are only two things that I can think of that didn't go as they should have.

When installing the locking block, it went in very tight, had to use the recommended procedure of prying the sides of the frame slightly to get it in. Even then, I was not able to get it to seat down fully level. You can see that one side is up just noticeably higher than the other.
nAdDlCN.jpg
(You can see the right side of the block, on the left in the photo, is just slightly above the plastic in front of it, whereas the other side is not)

You can also see this looking at it from the muzzle, you can see the slide tipped slightly. But, the slide went on and cycled just fine, so I left it. To remedy this issue, I think I would have to pull the locking block and mill off the offending side bit by bit until it sat down. That's scary to me, but I think I could do it if necessary.
LRSohyQ.jpg

The other issue, one more within my control that I feel very stupid about, is the sights. I purchased some pricey Meprolight adjustable nightsights. I made the very smart decision of trying to drift the rear in without oil. By the time I realized my mistake and that the sights weren't moving any further in, I had already put a slight warp in the seat of the sight. Went in just fine with a drop of oil; stupid! Anyway, due to that warp, the rear sight also is tilted ever so slightly. I thought maybe I could remedy this with zeroing, since they are adjustable, so I left them in. I guess the only way to fix this issue would be replacement.
0QZxzOs.jpg

As to the front sight, I held it straight as best I could and tightened it down, with blue LC on the threads. I don't see any problem there.

Okay, so, at this point, the gun seems to function fine. I have had a few failures of the striker to reset, but I haven't determined if that is an ammo issue or not yet.

However, the problem is keeping rounds on target. As I said, I am new to handguns, and I probably have about 100 rds under my belt, through this gun.

I got the thing laser boresighted, and went to put holes in paper. When I have the gun settled into a bag well, it seems to shoot pretty dead on. But when I stand up and hold the thing, it is all over the place. Random, as in hitting low left corner while aiming at bull, and the next shot being all the way across the target. This is all at about 10 yds. To be fair, they are all within a torso sized target at 10, but I think it should be more precise than that.

Anyway, I know I am very bad as yet with handguns, and need to practice. But I imagine if I was that bad, I would at least see some pattern I could then work to address. But this seems so wild and unpredictable, it makes me suspect something wrong with the weapon. But then I go back to the bag, and it shoots dead on! So, I don't know what to think.

What do you guys think? Are the mechanical things I stated probable causes you think I should address first? I suspect that until I shoot of the bag and it seems fine. Maybe I need to invest in some formal training, so someone who knows what they're doing can tell me what I am doing wrong, and shoot the gun and see what they think of it. I also have a SL TLR - 1s mounted.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I got my permit to carry earlier this spring and want to carry this gun, but I feel uneasy doing so until I know I can hit what I am aiming at! Thank you!

Hi Joe.... when you say you're new to handguns, do you mean building them or shooting them...??

Accurately shooting a hand gun is not an easy thing to do....(despite what Hollywood wants us to think), so it may just be that you need more practise firing offhand. As several people on here will probably agree, even after years of practise you can still throw shots all over the target on a bad day... ( or maybe thats just me.. !!)

Practise, practise, practise... especially if you're planning on using this for EDC.

Daryll.

80%Builder is a Farcebook group I belong to. LINK There is a lot of knowledge there and many vendors link from there. You WILL have to join to view/post (ie: "Closed Group") and you WILL need a FB account if you don't have one already.

One caveat with FB is as soon as you create an account, you will need to go into settings and turn everything intrusive OFF. Like auto-suggest and notifications, etc. Don't like ANYTHING or follow/friend ANYONE and you should be ok. I have been on 10 years or so and have no "friends" and that is fine with me... FB will still track your activity and suggest other groups and post advertising according to your interests... :rolleyes:

PS: at 80% there are many that have had your issues and you can probably find your answer there but nothing beats a good "ol' fashioned" internet forum such as this one or GlockTalk...

The attraction of FB is for those that are constantly on their phones. If the apps are installed the phone will become even more of a distraction IF YOU LET IT! A techhead I know doesn't understand how I can put my phone down when I am working in the shop. "what if someone needs to get in touch with you?" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks, Daryll. Both! This is my first handgun, which I did some of the building on, and it is also the first time (other than a few rounds through my dad's 1911 in the past) I have really shot them. As you point out, and as I was leaning towards, this probably is just lack of skill on my part that is the whole problem. The reason I asked is because it was SO random, and I knew there were a few imperfections about the gun, that I wanted to get some second opinions. Seeing that it shoots straight off the bag, I am thinking this is pretty much user error, and most likely not the little idiosyncrasies of the gun.

Thanks for the tip Bobster. I am thinking I will try to connect with people who have had the issue with the locking block, because, with a little modding, that should be something I can straighten out, and the sights can be straightened out if I cough up another $150. They're tritium, so it makes me feel extra stupid cause of what a waste it would be!

Shooting a handgun well takes a long time to master. I've been shooting for about 40 years now. I still do not feel like I am there yet. Probably never will. I feel like I have achieved something huge when I keep an entire magazine worth of bullets anywhere on paper. I have never claimed to be a great shot with a handgun. Least not with a straight face.

Shooting from a sandbag and shooting off hand are going to give you different results. As well does shooting at different distances. I do pretty good at shooting a bullseye at 7 yards where I feel like I'm causing powder burns to the target, but when I walk back 25 and 35 and 40 yards away, is a lot more of a challenge.

It's not fair to the gun to compare shooting from a bag and then off hand. They're two entirely different things. Shooting a gun off a bag and then wondering why it doesn't shoot as well offhand, the answer is always going to be: the shooter is messing it up.

That's not meant as an insult. On the contrary, it is sincere advice meant with the best of intentions. No one is born knowing how to shoot well. Nor do I think anyone here would claim to have been. It's something that takes a lot of training and patience. Don't let it discourage you.

I know that glocks are popular, and a lot of guys like them, but I hate them. The grip is just all wrong for me, and I don't like how they aim or shoot.

With that said, not all guns shoot the same, or even well for that matter

I do like anything with a neutral and natural grip angle. 1911's, CZ75 and many others.

Here is a target that shows what causes a lot of the mistakes that new shooters do and what you can practice to do better at. Print a bunch out and go shoot them.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

I will also mention that if something didn't go together right, that is always an area of concern and perhaps causing an issue. There is a lot of psi going on in there.

Thanks, John. You're 100% correct, and the reason I was comparing them was because the gun shot just fine off the bag, meaning it must be me that is the weak link. Thinking about it harder now, if there were issues with the gun itself, it would shoot bad off the bag, too. Since that is not the case, I am pretty sure now it is just me.

Thanks for the feedback you guys, really puts my mind at ease. Just need to buy a crate of ammo and get to it :p Hopefully when I get some offtime this winter, I can tear it down and fix those minor imperfections, but I don't think they have much to do with it anymore.

That target looks really interesting. So, the idea is that your shots will hit the area corresponding to the error that it is labeled? I'll give that a try!

Last edited:
Wlecome and congrats jumping in the deep end and building your pistol, very cool. As for accuracy your rest or bag should proof the gun, off hand exposes the shooter. Yes practice and if ya can training is fabulous idea just do it !!!! Here is also a target i find helpful for folks
Keep it up keep posting your progressFB_IMG_1527071105158.jpg

Back