• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Patterning some shotgun chokes

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Lately, I've been getting away from high brass shells. (err, high velocity) and preferring lower recoil/handicap loads.

Truth is, my back just won't handle the harder recoiling shells anymore.

So, I've altered the way I shoot, what I shoot, and how I shoot/hunt.

Recently, I threaded the two 18 inch barrels to accept screw in chokes.

And after shooting 4 shots of #6 handloads, and 4 shots of store bought federal game loads in 7 1/2 in each gun with a full choke, extra full choke, an undertaker choke, and a gobblin thunder choke, here are the patterns in the combinations the 500 and the 870 liked the best.

This just shows the importance of patterning your guns and how you can have the same choke, shooting the same shells, through different guns, will perform differently. So, to get the best pattern you can, you take the time to shoot a bunch and see which combination your gun prefers so you know which combo to grab.

The 870 liked the #6 shot with the gobblin thunder choke, and the 7 1/2 with the full.

pattern testing 018.JPG

pattern testing 019.JPG

And the Mossberg liked 7 1/2 with the undertaker choke, and the #6 with a full choke:

pattern testing 014.JPG

pattern testing 017.JPG

Just noticed this, i also enjoy playin shotgun pattern. Its a good pass time and good info.

Back