• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Paul Harrell - Shooting 12 Gauge Slugs at 200 and 300 Yards

I've always had the feeling that folks were underestimating just how far one could hope to accurately fire 12 Gauge Slugs when they say that they're only good out to 100 yards.

Granted that said folks are most-likely taking several variables into account, such as that if you're hunting and fail to hit your mark, then you most likely won't get a second chance, especially on a moving target.
Still, this refutes the often overstated assertion that slugs aren't accurate past 100 yards, as well as scopes are pointless on slug guns.

I do 200 no problem at all with a old mossy and some,good,slugs. Its accuracy is MOD all day long, but i Never tried 300. Right tool for the job, its become my fav deer gun, no worry about blood trails wound canals exit hole size expansion etc...hit deer in boiler vicinity and its as good as grilled. That said I dont really think its a shotgun but dont tell the officials , I'm pretty sure its just a really big bore rifle.20180903_160411.jpg

Anyone shooting a slug beyond 50 yards is hoping for a prayer hit.
That is true for me. At 100 yards I can only get 1/2 (sometimes 3/4) of my shots onto a torso sized target. That's with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. It's also something I don't practice a lot. It was more for curiosity after swapping to the ghost ring sights. At 50 yards I'm a lot better.

Back