• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pawn shops are cool ! Mav 88

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ok im giggly lil gurl right now sitting in park lot sending yall message. I found a cute lil 20 guage maverick 88 at pawn shop just now, 22" barrel take tubes and has a vent rib cool to me has a stock spacer thing adjust for kids short shooters heck i like it i suppose she aint a 500 but it was also $131.19 out the door yup i smiling. It has a little nick or two but very serviceable im sure. My first Mav. Hope the Mossys dont bully it. Kinda like the way it fits riding shotgun. 20180822_095622_HDR.jpg 20180822_095645.jpg 153494672781363196975.jpg

Couple more pics and quick assessment. I got home blew out with some air, gave a shot of spray oil and loaded it up holds 5 in tube so currently no plug. The safety is not traditionally mossy its trigger guard and a bit stiff but ok. I took out my Savage truck box gun for comparison its also a 20 bore i know i know yall hate the foregrip bugger off !!! First thing was the Mav is about a pound lighter and quick looks ita obvious the savage is much beefier more of 12gauge specs. The Mav is actually blued not coated ? Well the lil mav shot just fine, not sure what role yet thinking grandkids maybe. The savage and i are good friends now I like the extra heft if i use a slug or buckshot and weve shed blood together. But the Mav is a keeper fir sure great lil shotty no doubt. 20180822_104040_HDR.jpg 20180822_104048.jpg

Last edited:
Why can't I walk into a store and find deals like that?

It's almost like a conspiracy.

They see me coming and I walk into a store and see employees running around grabbing price tags off the top of shelves and stuff and diving behind the counter with them.

I stopped buying guns.

Now I just walk in every now and then just for the free show. Look around a minute, then turn around and leave.

Dj~

What a great find! Congrats!

If you ever get the urge to load 20-ga yourself I just might have a like new MEC press set up for 20 and it just might be for sale....

Q
Why can't I walk into a store and find deals like that?

It's almost like a conspiracy.

They see me coming and I walk into a store and see employees running around grabbing price tags off the top of shelves and stuff and diving behind the counter with them.

I stopped buying guns.

Now I just walk in every now and then just for the free show. Look around a minute, then turn around and leave.

Bubbas is old school, remember the old wood gun carts that wheeled to sales floor full of used stuff. They still have em il take picture next time i go in town right now it has a 119.00 rack of .22s lots of mod 60s and cool old bolt guns then the used shotgun rack 129 to 159 its fun to dig thru i dont go often cause its easy to find something to drop a hundo on.

All the stores around here took their cheap racks out and used them for firewood.

All that's left is the high dollar racks.

All the stores around here took their cheap racks out and used them for firewood.

All that's left is the high dollar racks.
If ya ever head 75 thru Ga gimme a heads up il turn ya on to a couple pretty cool old establishment s

Dj~

What a great find! Congrats!

If you ever get the urge to load 20-ga yourself I just might have a like new MEC press set up for 20 and it just might be for sale....
Shoot me pm with particulars, how far are you from New Market ??

DJC, I'm only 35 miles from the Murray courthouse. I'll buy you lunch someday in exchange for a tour.

DJC, I'm only 35 miles from the Murray courthouse. I'll buy you lunch someday in exchange for a tour.
Shoot me a PM il give ya my number im 24 miles from Dalton we can sure get together no problem. Theres still a Mossy 835 sitting on 159.99 rack as of yesterday morning its calling Snoop !!!!!
We will want to make it kinda early befire lunch the best spot ya gotta see opens at 6a.m. !!!!! He closes by 12 he is a 82 yr old codger you have gotta see.

Ok i have no poster for patterning today. So i just put up couple sheets paper figure if it covers 8x11 oughta cover a dove squirrel quail etc...
Heres final two i was ok with
7.5 dove loads at 25 yards and 35 yards using a FULL tube made a much improved difference from the provided modified ? On the pics the densest obviously 25 yards i pulled abit right but ya get the idea of center pattern density. I typically end up just using a mod but seems this likes a full thats fine for what i believe it will be used for 20 to 40 yds small game getting by grandkids. I do want to add having shot this some for those thinking kids gun ya need to recognize its light as in very light may consider adding some lead shot in buttstock it has a prerty good thump and for say an average 8 to 12 yr old be careful dont give em a bad experience chuckin a slug out of this right out the gate. Just myb2 cents

Attachments

• 20180823_122230_HDR.jpg
    20180823_122230_HDR.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180823_122225.jpg
    20180823_122225.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, I'd leave that full in it. Looks like a good combination.

Nice decent spread at normal hunting distances. Any critter that will fit inside of that sheet of paper is coming home for supper. Squirrel, rabbit, bird, even turkey. Which is precisely what the gun is supposed to do. Should make it easy for the young'uns.

Back