• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pheasant hunting this weekend.

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Sorta kinda..

I friend asked me if I wanted to join in on tower shoot this weekend. Never done that before so I thought I would give it a go. I'm in dire need of some shooting and outdoor time.

I guess the tower shoot takes place in the morning and then we will hit the field for any strays after lunch.

Never heard of a tower shoot.

What is that?

Sounds interesting, we used to sign up for "put and take" upland game hunts on our state grounds. Since pheasant wasn't in abundance, the DNR would raise so many a year, for sporting purposes.

Never heard of a tower shoot.

What is that?

Per my understandjng the birds are released from a tower and the hunters are located a different stations and get a shot as the birds passes by. Never done it before so I thought I would try it.

The field hunt after is a normal run your dog throught the field scenario to pick up any stragglers

I wouldn't be interested in trying to shoot birds as they're released. But I would be very interested in bird hunting. I miss doing that so bad.

Just got back, it was a lot of fun but I am spent.

The tower shoot is basically a skeet shoot with live birds. There is a tower in the middle.of the field and stations all around the outside, prob 100 yards from the tower). They release single birds and you try and shoot it. We rotate stations every 5 birds. They tend to always fly one way or the other based on wind.

The afternoon was a normal hunt workkng the fields with dogs.

I would do it again.

And the 930 performed flawlessly!!. It shot better than I did. LOL. We had 21 people and we ended up with 4 birds each plus a few extras.

We go to a couple charity tower shoots every year, the best part is batting clean up with our dogs after the shoot we always hope for lots of poor gunners.

While not exactly pheasant hunting, me and my youngest son were doing some trail riding on an old strip mine road and we saw 4 grouse together walking along the side of the road.

Was the first time that he had ever seen grouse before unfortunately so we felt pretty good about seeing them and especially to have ran up on them like we did. We were just cruising through in 3rd gear and there they were.

While not exactly pheasant hunting, me and my youngest son were doing some trail riding on an old strip mine road and we saw 4 grouse together walking along the side of the road.

Was the first time that he had ever seen grouse before unfortunately so we felt pretty good about seeing them and especially to have ran up on them like we did. We were just cruising through in 3rd gear and there they were.
Thats a good find John, fond memories of just walking old log roads popping a couple grouse along the way for supper☺. Time for some walking with the boy once season opens

FB_IMG_1526518585972.jpg Mandy actually had to work day of the last tower shoot at club, but we took a chance 2 days afterwards and ran one of our dogs and had a good morning☺ on lost birds. I love bad shots❤ they put free meat in our freezer.

Back