• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Picked up a Mossberg 44US(b)

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
So happy to pick this old girl up. Civilian model no "Property of US" stamp but in excellent condition. Original front and peep sight. Smooth bolt although I'm going to oil it down, and perfect stock. This thing has one of the heaviest barrels on a .22 I've ever seen. Already saw Havlin sales has a simple two screw no smithing scope mount for this which I cannot wait to order. Was going to buy a new .22 but when this came up I could not resist.

As if my luck couldn't get any better I stop at Dick's SG on the way home to get my hunting license and they have 500rd bricks of Remy thunderbolts for $24.99 in stock...score!
c36969ee933bcd3ba29b8b6ef80e0e35.jpg

0e9352b15804e4443b99ca0d018ff8d3.jpg

58d0e044b15c6613ef5a30a51cf04097.jpg

Didn't the CMP offer those up a few years back? Nice gun, enjoy!

No bolt .22s in the arsenal lately... Was toying with purchasing a new Savage HB a few years back but never got around to it. A local seller has a Ruger American NIB for $200 but he is more looking to trade for an AR lower--I offered to help him buy and build one--Oh well... :rolleyes: (retail on the American is around $250...)

I know they were produced as a means to train US military snipers during WWII, hence the heavy barrel. I've shot all kinds of .22's modern and historic and this one is so heavy and solid feeling. Once I picked it up and cycled the bolt I was hooked. For about the price of a stripped 10/22 I'd rather have a piece of Mossberg history.

Wanted to post a little update...

Went to the range to sight in my slug gun for hunting season and brought along the .22 for some shooting after. Using the peep sights I sighted it in quickly and was making 2" groups at 25yrds! Using a peep sight!

With the heavy barrel it feels like a pellet gun firing. Only issue I found was the mag doesn't stay tight and drops like 1/16" causing the bolt to not feed the next round on occasion. Not sure if its an issue with the receiver or the mag. Seems hard to pull the mag out as well so maybe I need to pick up another.

The mag angle bar might need adjustments Sometimes it's something as simple as the magazine guide bar needing to be tweaked.~~MM~~

Back