• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

<PICS> My new source for FREE LEAD WHEELWEIGHTS!

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
About three years ago I was working at a large intersection of multi-lane highways when I noticed a lead tire weight lying along the edge of the road. "Ooooohhhh," (I said to myself), "a WHEELWEIGHT!!!" :cool:

And then I spotted another, and another...... "Holy Crap!" :twisted:

Since then I have returned to that intersection every few months (and others as well) and I always find some new bullet lead laying there.

Here is what I found this past Wednesday morning when the sun came up:

The BIG ONE is a truck tire weight weighing a quarter pound! That's going to make fourteen FREE 124-gr 9mm bullets all by itself.

,,,,nice find,free bullets by the side of the road. :)

check with your local tire shop also. :)

i told my mrs. when she goes to these garage sales,,,look for lead fishing weights. JIC i start making them slugs. ;)

Yep, tire stores that give away lead are getting pretty hard to find.

Fishing weights/sinkers are a good source for almost pure soft lead which I always strongly lean toward for making slugs. Those wheelweights are harder on the Brinnell Hardness Scale and are hard to drop from a slug mould, but drop easily from (and shoot well) as pistol bullets.

If you know of an old house being torn down ask if you can have the window ballasts. They are almost pure lead and would be great to cast slugs from.

I hope you one day get into casting your own, mossy!!!

nitesite said:
About three years ago I was working at a large intersection of multi-lane highways when I noticed a lead tire weight lying along the edge of the road. "Ooooohhhh," (I said to myself), "a WHEELWEIGHT!!!" :cool:

Any scientific theory as to why this particular intersection is such a magnet for lead (is that an oxymoron? ;) ) or does it just receive lots of traffic?

aksavanaman said:
nitesite said:

Any scientific theory as to why this particular intersection is such a magnet for lead (is that an oxymoron? ;) ) or does it just receive lots of traffic?

Hahahaahhhaa! Great question, my friend!

I could have just said "I dunnow" but since you asked I have to be truthful.

I DO have a less-than-scientific theory!

The "BEST" intersections where I continually find handfuls of wheel weights (I check every 30-days or so) have one thing in common, and even though it may sound silly I can't dispute it.

It's always the first stop light on a 65-70 MPH highway that has an uninterupted stretch of twenty or more miles without any traffic slowing down until THAT LIGHT. My less-than-scientific theory is that centrifigal forces keep weights with loose clips held on the rim until it suddenly slows and comes to a stop and then it simply falls off.

God, I really need to get a life........

The way things are going, I'd recommend you keep your lead mining activities a secret. Lots of new reloaders have sprung up in the last couple years, and they are having the same problem finding supplies as everyone else. :)

Reloading up, too

Some shooters have always reloaded their own ammunition. Now, with the ammunition shortage, many more have gotten into reloading. To do so, they must buy several pieces of reloading equipment, plus components such as shell casings, gunpowder and bullets.

“The reloading — holy cats!” VanValkenburg said. “I had a lot of inventory, and it got decimated. People said, ‘I’m not going through this again.’ ”

Superior Shooters Supply has seen the same trend.

“Everyone got up one day and decided to get into reloading,” Kukull said. “Now, nationwide, you see a reloading surge like you’ve never seen. People — I witnessed this — were delving into their IRAs (retirement funds) and buying reloading components. I wouldn’t make this up.”

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... /Business/

old mossy said:
check with your local tire shop also. :)

I'm always working that angle, I promise.

This morning I scored a 1/3 full 5-gallon bucket of wheel weights from a tire store, though it's hard to tell the depth of the bucket's contents in this iPhone snapshot. It's about six inches deep and I'm seeing very few steel or zinc weights and only one valve stem!

It wasn't free but it was affordable. These weights are going to totally vanish completely one day.

Being from PA (worst rated roads) my first thought when I saw the title was potholes.

I have a niece who dates a kid that just got a job at a tire place. I will need to hit him up for what they do with the old lead weights.

Nitesite, is the casting equipment and a few cans of Yeungling coming out soon?

Well.....
Maybe.......
Hahaha!
I will probably just hoarde this with the other lead and one day smelt it into bullet-ready lead.

Beer and lead smelting are not supposed to ever mix, kids! It's all about your total safety!

nitesite said:
Well.....
Maybe.......
Hahaha!
I will probably just hoarde this with the other lead and one day smelt it into bullet-ready lead.

Beer and lead smelting are not supposed to ever mix, kids! It's all about your total safety!

That's where you need something like this.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
use-nbc-canteen-cap-800x800.jpg

Or did I miss the point??? ;)

Hahahaaa! You Get Me! You really get me!!!!

And for those moments when I might succomb to the intoxicating beverage or five...

... I have trained sons to step into the breach!

Nice find man. and the pics there after made lol too...but not like that chick... :shock:

I can see the headlines now....man arrested stealing lead weights from car rims. :roll:

ripjack13 said:
I can see the headlines now....man arrested stealing lead weights from car rims. :roll:

Ya gotta be sneaky and grab them while it is still moving...that way no one knows... ;)

I have my tires balanced on the inside!

If I lose a wheel weight it is from 'natural causes'!!

The tire stores where I know folks are sewn up tighter than a drum. I have a huge metals supplier in town that stocks nearly pure lead at $1.75 a pound (the cash price).

I've plinker eBay auctions for a while but recently have turned to the dirt berms at the shooting club. Lead is easy picking right on the surface. Lord knows what I'd come up with if I got serious beyond hand picking! I've gotten over 200 lbs just picking a bit on range trips where the soil was not wet and muddy. Some Wellies would get me over that hump as well! Cost = time.

Back