• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol Grip Forends

Pump500

.22LR
What do you guys think? I'm waiting on a Mossberg 500 Cruiser and it comes with a pistol grip. Do you guys think the pistol grip forends aid in recoil or muzzle flip? Let me know what you guys think. I guess its o.k. having to wait 10 days.. I get to stock up on accessories. :lol:

My 590 started life as a PG only model...

I added a railed forend and a front vertical grip which did improve forward control over the weapon. However, I was not comfortable overall with the PG only set-up and I never felt like I could get a proper sight picture. I later added a Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing stock and have never looked back. The ability to shoulder the weapon allows for a proper line of sight to the front bead and greatly improves accuracy on target. The 590 gets a LOT more range time now and is much more comfortable to shoot...

I actually have 2 front grips on my 500 :lol:

I would not like waiting on a gun transfer.

When I had my FFL's, a simple call to the FBI/NICS lasted about 2 minutes. Once the information is given, it takes up to 4 whole seconds to hear: "You may proceed with the transfer" or "The transfer is denied"

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
My 590 started life as a PG only model...

I added a railed forend and a front vertical grip which did improve forward control over the weapon. However, I was not comfortable overall with the PG only set-up and I never felt like I could get a proper sight picture. I later added a Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing stock and have never looked back. The ability to shoulder the weapon allows for a proper line of sight to the front bead and greatly improves accuracy on target. The 590 gets a LOT more range time now and is much more comfortable to shoot...

Interesting point. I like how you have the best of both worlds now. As soon as I pick up the Mossberg I'll try it right out of the box and see how it feels. I have shot a pistol grip shotgun (Mossberg) before and it wasn't too bad. I actually liked it but it did seem to me that you can get more control with a forward mounted grip and I liked the idea of that. I also like the idea of having an option to shoulder and aim the shotgun. I was thinking about getting a Hogue shoulder stock w/ 12" LOP and leaving the forend on there. :D The decisions seem like they're getting tougher and tougher for me :lol: ...Thank you for your reply.

John A. said:
I actually have 2 front grips on my 500 :lol:

I would not like waiting on a gun transfer.

When I had my FFL's, a simple call to the FBI/NICS lasted about 2 minutes. Once the information is given, it takes up to 4 whole seconds to hear: "You may proceed with the transfer" or "The transfer is denied"
I don't agree with California on that one either. I also don't like waiting :evil: . It bites. Do you have any pics of your 500 with 2 front grips? :D

Pump500 said:
Do you have any pics of your 500 with 2 front grips? :D

mossberg500003.jpg

mossberg500007.jpg

The bottom grip works good for when the gun is shouldered.

The side grip works good when shooting from the hip, throw your thumb on the side grip while holding the bottom grip and it helps negate recoil, I haven't used it to breach with, but it would work good for it, and also when shooting around corners.

Another bonus of the front grips set up like that, it gives something extra to use to help cycle the action if your weak hand is injured.

John A. said:
Pump500 said:
Do you have any pics of your 500 with 2 front grips? :D

mossberg500003.jpg

mossberg500007.jpg

The bottom grip works good for when the gun is shouldered.

The side grip works good when shooting from the hip, throw your thumb on the side grip while holding the bottom grip and it helps negate recoil, I haven't used it to breach with, but it would work good for it, and also when shooting around corners.

Another bonus of the front grips set up like that, it gives something extra to use to help cycle the action if your weak hand is injured.
Kind of like the "Chainsaw" effect. Thats exactly what I was picturing when you said "2 front grips" :D
Sweet setup!

I've used that setup since about 2007 or maybe 2008. Years before the chainsaw came out.

It's an Ergo railed forend, and 2 grips. In this case, a Tango Down bottom grip and Ergo side grip.

Back